Milk bottles in the summer?

• 8 Replies

DanielCoffey

Milk bottles in the summer?
« on: February 13, 2019, 20:50 »
We have just started having our milk delivered in glass pint bottles and I was thinking... would I need a coolbox for it in the summer?

I know I am probably overthinking it but the driver comes round somewhere between 4am and 5am. It is then sitting out in an east-facing porch until 7am. Given that it will be sitting in the early morning sunlight, will I need to provide a coolbox or not?

Obviously at this time of year it is a non-issue. In fact I have found a little frost on the bottles the past week or so. I don't have to worry about human passers-by and so far the wildlife has left it alone.

What do you think?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Milk bottles in the summer?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 21:19 »
I think it'll be fine  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 21:26 »
I would use one once the weather warms up. Some dairies sell them, ask yours,

I remember ones like these  https://www.milkandmore.co.uk/At-Home/Milk-%26-More-Milk-Minder/p/73911

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:04 »
I would think it would be fine, in a normal summer, but if it's like last year it could be an issue. Takes me back to school days when we had free milk in bottles, frozen in winter, off and full of bits in summer! But that had been outside until about ten if  I remember rightly.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:09 »
I think I may get a small coolbox then as I already have the ice packs from when we bought our last freezer. One of those chucked in the bottom will be plenty to keep it cool till it is brought in.

I remember the little school milk tetrapacks - oddly tasting at the best of times and distinctly strange by the end of the afternoon!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:13 »
We have our milk delivered too, and our front door is south facing. It arrives about 4am, and by the time it is brought in at 7am it is still fine, even last Summer. Any open box would provide shade though and if you added a freeze-pack would be plenty chilled enough
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 10:06 »
Never had the milk turn in 40 year  :nowink:  I've had it nicked, frozen, foil tops pecked open by birds and rats, and knocked over by squirrels, but never turned.

When I had the problems with rodents opening them I looked around for containers and there are lots on the market including those with polystyrene insulation, I settled for an old recycling box with a lid.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 14:32 »
Never had the milk turn in 40 year  :nowink:  I've had it nicked, frozen, foil tops pecked open by birds and rats, and knocked over by squirrels, but never turned.

I was just going to remind DanielCoffey about the tits stealing the cream off the top of the milk.  I remember free milk, in 1/3 pint bottles and having to thaw it out on top of the pot bellied stove in the classroom during wintertime.  Our next door neibhour... was a school cleaner and often brought home 'spare' bottles.

Cheers,  Tony.

Edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:38 by New shoot »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

wighty

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 15:31 »
Everybody at school was envious of me as I was not allowed to have the free milk.  My mum warned than that is made me sick and for the first three days at infant school they insisted I have it.  They soon learnt their lesson and decided my mum did know what she was talking about.  This was in the days before I was diagnosed as being lactose intolerant.

xx
Sterilizing milk bottles?

Started by DanielCoffey on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2018, 17:39
by snowdrops
xx
Died milk

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 12:21
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Lidl's milk frother

Started by ghost61 on Kitchen Natter

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 19:39
by pigguns

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 40 queries.