Hello from the Berwyn Mountains

• 7 Replies

Glynbach

Hello from the Berwyn Mountains
« on: April 02, 2021, 09:11 »
Hello from the Berwyn Mountains in Snowdonia where growing fruit and veg over 1000 feet above sea level has its challenges! This will be my 65th year veg growing. The plot is long and narrow, 19 feet x 120 feet tapering to a point at the far end. Soil is clay. I built raised beds 4 x 12 for the organic veg managed on a four year crop rotation and have been getting good results. Slugs up here are the pits, so beer and nematodes are a must and those I pick off go to our rescue hens who devour them with relish! I started a mini orchard two years ago and this is just starting to bear fruit. Soft fruits are doing well, summer and autumn raspberries, black currants blue berries and strawberries. The Comfrey (Bocking 14) I received from a friend 40 years ago, has since created a bed with over 100 plants, which is the mainstay of compost production. Love to hear from other like minded souls. G
thumbnail_IMG_1915.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello from the Berwyn Mountains
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 09:57 »
Welcome to the forum. Your garden plot looks lovely  :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:10 »
Welcome from me as well.  You do look and sound organised.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 13:10 »
Wow! We're only (only??) 600 feet up on the hill looking to the Menai and Anglesey. Totally jealous of your garden which really puts mine to shame  :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 20:14 »
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your plot - lots of sunshine and it's great that you've got your relaxation priorities right with a chair facing the sun too!  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 22:10 »
Hi, welcome to the forums from me too!

Welsh Merf

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 14:29 »
Croeso mawr ichi. Lle da di hwn! O Drawsfynydd ydwi yn wreiddiol, ond yn byw yn Kent ers 27 of flynyddoedd rwan.

For my English friends, what I wrote above is: Much welcome. This is a good place to be. I'm from Trawsfynydd originally, but lived in Kent for the past 27 years.

The Berwyn Mountain Range is very close to where I originate from, no more than about ten miles. So, I'd be very interested to know where our new member lives - I might know a few people from the area! After all, it is a small world.  :nowink: :D
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

The bunny

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 22:29 »
I am so envious. your lot looks fab, well done you. What do you use for pathway material. I am desperate to rid mine of plastic.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 49 queries.