Onions from seed - for 2021

• 79 Replies

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
Onions from seed - for 2021
« on: December 24, 2020, 00:55 »
Hi all mine have just started showing take it there better off in greenhouse rather than in ground covered in fleece Yorkshire area plant out in March also what’s best way to prep soil and feed
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 15:40 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Onions from seed - for 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 10:05 »
Well it seems the onion growers are off already for a new season, so here we go with a new thread.  Last years thread is here for reference.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=131334.0

I am thinking about a Boxing Day sowing, so must remember to get some compost into small seed trays and into the house to warm up.

There is no need to rush, but I enjoy the ritual of it every year.  The main things are to have seeds that are designed for early sowing, have a plan for a bright, cool but frost free area or areas to grow them on until they are ready to plant out and lots of patience.  They are tiny little seedlings that take a long time to get going and do a fair impression of chives for quite some weeks.  However, your prolonged TLC does produce rewards, so if you want to join in for an early sown crop, this is the place  :)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 12:19 »
I'm starting mine as soon as my new seeds arrive :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 12:54 »
 ::) Dashes off to get compost in from outside.. growing (or attempting to!)  all of mine from seed this year, Highlander, Isobel Rose and my usual Long Red Florence.
the LRF seeds are quite old now, so I may have to buy some more  ::) see what germination is like first, though  :)

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 14:46 »
Looking at sowing on boxing day thats the onions for home use the show onions are well on their way now.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 15:04 »
Looking at sowing on boxing day thats the onions for home use the show onions are well on their way now.

I don’t show them and they are for home use.  I just like growing a few big onions each year and that is what is being sown first  :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 08:47 »
Is it that time of the year already?  :wacko:

Best get  me'sel sorted and get cracking.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 10:56 »
I used up the rest of a pack of Globo from last year, but I have a spare seed tray ready filled and some fresh Alisa Craig seeds if they are no good.  There were plenty of seeds so they went in thickly to allow for any falling off in germination rates.

We’re off  :D

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 04:04 »
Advice on planting scallions please!

I've never really tried growing onions before, but would like to grow some scallions, something we use a lot. The seed I selected is called Evergreen Bunching, specifically for scallions.

Our January-February night low temperatures range from -4 °C to +4 °C, but mostly a couple degrees above freezing. Day high temperature ranges from 7 to 18 °C.

A local gardening columnist recommends "Onions are completely hardy; put them out as soon as the soil can be worked in mid- to late- winter. Start them from seed sown directly in the garden, from seedling transplants (called stick-outs), or from onion sets..."

I sowed directly into the ground about 2 weeks ago (December 14), per packet instructions. So far, nothing has come up. We had mostly warm weather for this time of year, but had one dip just before Christmas that was about -5 °C at night.

Am I expecting to see sprouting seeds too early? Is it likely our cold snap killed anything that sprouted? Other thoughts?

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 09:44 »
John has some good advice here:

https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/grow-your-own-spring-onions-or-scallions-salad-onions/

But remember to tweek it for your climate.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 19:26 »
It is possible to overwinter spring onions or scallions in the UK as per John’s advice, usually in a poly tunnel or greenhouse, but most people here would not sow until March or April.  We have the cold nights, but also cold days and low light levels, so your local garden columnist probably knows better than us SP  :)

Cooler temperatures slow everything down, so your seeds may be just taking their time.

My Globo onions are showing signs of life, but they are pampered indoors so got going in a week.

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 17:00 »
Hi

First year growing from seed but my seed order delivery is delayed and looking like they won't be here until end of Jan.  :wacko:

Should I just be patient and wait until then or am I losing a vital month's growth? I could pop to wilko tomorrow and pick up some seeds and save the others until next year. I've ordered Armstrong as they are supposed to be good storers - any similar varieties I could substitute? I'm used to my onion crop lasting until at least March!

cheers
Gra

Growing Weather

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 20:33 »
I thought I had sown all my Onion seed but on checking my sowing list noticed I had missed a packet of Shallots so in they shall  go tomorrow.

BTW the onions were sown on Boxing day and are just showing signs of a few seed germinating. 9 days from sowing.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 09:53 »
Hi

First year growing from seed but my seed order delivery is delayed and looking like they won't be here until end of Jan.  :wacko:

Should I just be patient and wait until then or am I losing a vital month's growth? I could pop to wilko tomorrow and pick up some seeds and save the others until next year. I've ordered Armstrong as they are supposed to be good storers - any similar varieties I could substitute? I'm used to my onion crop lasting until at least March!

cheers
Gra

I don’t think the growth in January is vital.  If you want to grow show onions it is, but if you just want some nice sized onions for storage, I would hang on until you get the seeds of the ones you want.

Mine are not show onions, just big onions grown for fun.  I have another pack of seeds for another kind and they won’t get sown until next month  :)

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 12:03 »
Im going to try some zebrune shallots. Would you still start these this early?

clip
onions from seed.. my way

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2018, 10:32
by jambop
xx
onions from seed

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 22:22
by gobs
xx
Onions from seed?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 11:12
by New shoot
xx
Help onions going to seed!?

Started by cheadleplotter on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:28
by yummy

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 56 queries.