Clipping wings

• 7 Replies

daisy1990

Clipping wings
« on: July 01, 2010, 21:09 »
Our new hens will soon be behind an electric mesh fence (we have ordered 50 metres of it).  Is there any need to clip their wings? ie can they fly over it? At present they are in a coup and run but we would like them to have more space whilst keeping them away from the local fox
Thanks Daisy
ps I have seen a video on You tube re wing clipping is it as easy as it looks?
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Pretty Chick

Re: Clipping wings
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 21:12 »
Hi Daisy  :).

There is a similar topic (recent, on page 1) to this in the Hen House, so it may be worth looking at that  :)
All lives are precious.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 21:21 »
thanks will take a look

LilRed

• Chace
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 23:34 »
I. Did this today for the first time, it took two of us but we did it. I was quite scared bur after the first two it was easier. My hubby held them and I cut the feathers, a sharp pair of scissors is definately a must
x
My girls the magnificent 7! Isadora, Martha, Clara, Ruby Tuesday, Lady Jane, Roxanne & Maggie May.

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 02:56 »
It's easy to do and if you do you should only clip one wing to unbalance them but unless you have particularly flighty birds it's almost always unecessary. It hinders their ability to escape preditors and can be disfiguring.  Chickens usually respect natural boundaries and you will find they will stay within the net even when they can fly over.  Clipping their wings unless done fairly severely often doesn't prevent them flying the short hop over a fence anyway.  In over ten years keeping chx I've only ever clipped a couple of flighty individuals.

A big mistake often made by those starting out is to regard confinement as imprisonment.  Chx unlike caged birds don't want to escape at the first opportunity.  They quickly become "homed" to a house and ranging area where they are secure and have food and water and companions they won't want to leave and if they get out by mistake they stalk up and down the fence trying to get back in.

HF
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 23:15 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 21:26 »
that is really helpful and interestimg thanks

chickenmclicken

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 22:09 »
That is very interesting. Ours are very flighty, and I can not stand cutting their wings. It's funny as we have 4 girls, and the newer two did not fly until they copied the older two, who came from an open paddock with trees they used to roost in!!! They now have a net over them so they can't fly, as even with a clipped wing, they could still get over a metre high fence!
Chicken McLicken
aka Scott

Grace (Spaniard) Will(hemina) (Black & White!) Miranda (Black Nero) Annabelle (Cambridges Blue)
2 kids and 2 cats!

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 23:01 »

A big mistake often made by those starting out is to regard confinement as imprisonment.  Chx unlike caged birds don't want to escape at the first opportunity.  They quickly become "homed" to a house and ranging area where they are secure and have food and water and companions they won't want to leave and if they get out by mistake they stalk up and down the fence trying to get back in.

HF

Couldn't agree more 8)
Clipped my first lot, as was told you have to, but if they are happy there is no need to clip.

Mine could hop over the run easily if they wanted.

I lock them in the coop each night, I just say "in you go" and in they trot, no trouble.

Spider :)

Spider

xx
clipping wings

Started by storme37 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 22:07
by storme37

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.