Non laying hen

• 2 Replies

rugbyman

Non laying hen
« on: September 04, 2010, 17:02 »
I have had 2 hybred ISA chickens for some time now 3-4 months. I posted a couple of queries before about having no eggs. Since then one of them is laying each and every morning sometimes before I have even got down the garden to let them out. The other seems to go in the nesting box between 9-10 makes a lot of noise sits for about 30 mins but nothing. :( They both eat, drink have treats which include kitchen scraps or corn late in the evening. Health wise both have large deep red combs and clear eyes. They also move into their mating position when ever I enter the run or coop. The supplier I purchased them from show no interest in my problem and said that I must have a dud. Can I get a refund of change the chicken. Don't get me wrong they are a nice addition to the family but we got them for their eggs as we like a spot of baking.
 I have just bought a new bag of layer pellets from a different supplier/brand, will this make any difference.
Many thanks
Rugbyman :)

carolbriar

Re: Non laying hen
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 18:19 »
Sorry to hear one of your hens isn't laying.  I have a light sussex who is just over a year old and she hasn't laid any eggs at all.  Luckily I have 4 other hens and between them they keep us in eggs plus extra. 

How old is your ISA?  She just could be a late starter.  To be honest, I wouldn't think they would refund the money and probably don't want to change the hen either as she isn't much good to them if she isn't laying.  Have you anymore hens?  If not, perhaps you could look at getting two more.  It's never a good idea to add just one because of the potential pecking and bullying of a new one.  Safer with two.  Maybe someone else will be able to advise better.

2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

8doubles

Re: Non laying hen
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 18:47 »
I think it unlikely you will get a refund or replacement, unless it turns into a cockerel.
They are sold as Point of lay and not Guaranteed layers, how could you prove she has not laid . One of mine has laid a dozen eggs and decided to go broody. :nowink:

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
laying

Started by Bailz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 16:00
by Bailz

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 28 queries.