Soy(a)bean - Tankaro

• 5 Replies

irot

• Oishi Bakery
Soy(a)bean - Tankaro
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:15 »
I purchased some soya bean seeds (tankaro) from the US with the view to grow them for edamame.  They didn't come with any instructions, except to plant as a normal bean bush.  I was planning to start them off in the propagator and then grow them in the greenhouse to give them heat.  Is this viable, and when do you think I ought to start them off?  It does say they'll take 70 days.

Any advice is appreciated :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Soy(a)bean - Tankaro
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 18:47 »
These instructions for a different variety of soya bean suggest planting from April.

See also these two previous threads about them:

Thread one

Thread two

You can find further threads by clicking on Search in the top left area of the screen and searching for soya beans.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 18:50 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 15:31 »
Yes, I had already searched, but as these are a variety not specifically tailored to the UK I wondered if anyone could offer more specific advice, as I'd planned to grow them in a greenhouse rather than outside. 

I'll just give it a go in April and see what happens! :D

Scruff

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 13:03 »
Hi, if you get any worthwhile advice I would be grateful for a heads up. Over the last 2 years I must have planted 300 soy (edamame) seeds from Fothergills, and a further pack after complaining that NOT ONE germinated. I have tried propogators, soaking (that's a no no apparently), greenhouse, direct into the soil in June. The only reason I persist is because I adore them! Not sure what my variety is, left the packet in the greenhouse - but it would seem to be a variety to avoid! any tips on variety from anyone would be most welcome :(
best, scruff

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 14:52 »
Growers here stay strictly with growing time varieties because soybeans just don't like the cold and if you get a long grow variety (eg 120 days) it just won't ripen before frost takes it down, so in the UK stick with the shortest growing times you can find like 70 days. True the plants will be shorter and the yield smaller but its better than tall plants with no yield. Not sure how they'd like it in the greenhouse but you can always try. The key is lots of sun for them and reasonable warmth. And definitely warmish soil for planting. They're susceptible to mold so you'd need to be careful with venting.

Pea & bean innoculant is what is referred to, not mandatory but it does boost growth. It can be grown more closely in raised beds but not overly close in rows that mildew/mold can set it. In dry times, mulch is a definite benefit. Otherwise, water regularly.

Do note that rabbits and deer adore edamame so if you have them as pests, fence the crop in well.

Here's a short video on cultivation.

Here is some cultivation info, and there's a bit more here as well as here.

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 21:01 »
So the beans I planted germinated, and they seem to be getting on okay in the greenhouse - a couple of nibbles from pesky slugs aside (although I deployed my nematodes yesterday... bring it on, sluggies)!

I germinated them in a heated propagator and didn't have a problem at all. They've been in the unheated greenhouse for about a month or so.  Fingers crossed!

xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
To Bean Or Not To Bean

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 18:42
by erainn
xx
What's This Bean?

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 10:15
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 34 queries.