Carrot Fly

• 2 Replies

fatbelly

Carrot Fly
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:33 »
Hi
I have checked the WYSISWG bit of the forum and I couldn't find anything about the Carrot Fly.

I did a bit of googling and what I found is that the Fly cannot fly above 18 inches high so a barrier is best put in place to stop the female fly laying her larvae on your crop. I couldn't find any thing that you could put on your crop either before or after an attack of the larvae and there seems to be only two ways of preventing damage to your crop. the first I have already spoke about which is put a barrier around your crop and the other is to grow variety's that have resistance to the fly such as 'Fly Away', 'Maestro', 'Resistafly' and 'Sytan'.

The female fly can detect the smell of carrots being pulled from a half a mile away. When you think about it that is amazing sense of smell from such a minute insect.

I couldn't find any information about what months of the year the fly is most active and when or if we can plant and harvest without the risk of attack to our crops.

So does anyone have any more info about the carrot fly, if so please post it on here and I will collate and check the information and then place it the WYSIWYG under pests. (If that is okay with the forum Mods)
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

gobs

Carrot Fly
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 10:22 »
I think, they'll be pleased, FB.

There are 2 generations a season (which might be 3 nowadays with the long mild autumns :?: ): late spring/early summer and late summer, but risky to count on this.

Best to grow them under fleece or two feet off the ground.

Resistant varieties work planted in alternate rows with non-resistant ones.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

Re: Carrot Fly
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:08 »
Quote from: "fatbelly"
 I will collate and check the information and then place it the WYSIWYG under pests.
 :D Cheers

I am going to suggest that you re-post on WYSIWYGGY PESTS with very little more than what you have written above FB.  The scientific name is useful to avoid any doubt and that is Psila rosae.  Just fill in the template with any details you have - you can always fill in blanks later as the replies come in.  The resistant carrots varieties can also be posted to "Carrot varieties".

Most WYSIWYGGY threads have been launched with very high-information posts but, quite honestly, an on-topic post is all that is needed to start the replies coming in.  A question is equally as valid - WYSIWYGGY isn't a sterile work of reference, it is merely a series of on-topic threads.  Anyone can contribute. :D  :D

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
Carrot fly

Started by Hortic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2023, 15:50
by Harry998
xx
carrot fly

Started by whinpin on Grow Your Own

57 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 00:26
by Paul Plots
xx
carrot help

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 02:23
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 35 queries.