Poorly Chicken ????

• 6 Replies

stanlmic

Poorly Chicken ????
« on: June 18, 2010, 19:55 »
One of my hybrids based on a sussex has been behaving very strange, it all started I think with soft shelled eggs, tried all the tips suggested, but now she hardly lays at all and when she does they are still soft, also, my main concern is she just sits or stands in the run or in the garden and just stares into space, she'll take herself of to bed early and just nestle in the nesting box - its all very strange behavior. Looking at her she seems ok, although i notice today that the feathers around her bottom were dirty. i think she's eating ok, but not where near as much as the others. Any idea's / suggestions ?. Her comb looks a little floppy and she does seem to be loosing condition on her feathers a bit.

chech221

Re: Poorly Chicken ????
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 13:13 »
how old is the hen ?and is she laying ?as ive a hen with the same symptoms my hen seems very weak but i know she is getting old too but i think she is poorly hopefully someone could advise or should i just end her suffering as ive cleaned the poo of her bum and ive seperated her from the flock and been no change in the last 24 hours

stanlmic

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 17:18 »
she's about 18mths old, so not that old really. She's still showing strange signs of behaviour - its really odd !

graces-chickens

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 19:22 »
One of my hybrids based on a sussex has been behaving very strange, it all started I think with soft shelled eggs, tried all the tips suggested, but now she hardly lays at all and when she does they are still soft, also, my main concern is she just sits or stands in the run or in the garden and just stares into space, she'll take herself of to bed early and just nestle in the nesting box - its all very strange behavior. Looking at her she seems ok, although i notice today that the feathers around her bottom were dirty. i think she's eating ok, but not where near as much as the others. Any idea's / suggestions ?. Her comb looks a little floppy and she does seem to be loosing condition on her feathers a bit.

hi i put a thread on about 'molly' who is a hybrid based on a sussex and she was acting oddly and she just kept standing there by herself and the others started to pick on her she seemed very weak and she was laying and now isnt.  She just stands still and doesnt move hardly, she also had a very dirty bottom and i cleaned all that and her feathers and it was back to the same the next day, i had to take her out of the coop and run with the others and put her in with the younger ones as the older ones picked on her as she was getting weaker.  When she does a poo now it is clear fluid with a mustartd yellow in it.  We are not sure if they pecked at her eye as that is now closed and when i tried to open it it looked sore and a bit red. When she sits down now she almost falls over, her balance is getting worse and she looks as if she wont last much longer, we are at a loss now what to do except wait and make her comfortable.

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 19:49 »
How about a visit to the vet?
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

graces-chickens

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 20:12 »
How about a visit to the vet?

she died

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 21:42 »
oh graces-chickens, so sorry about your hen x

xx
Should poorly chicken be PTS?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 19:05
by daisy1990
xx
poorly chicken, I think.

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2012, 16:17
by crowndale
xx
Poorly chicken - help please.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 22:48
by ANHBUC
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by cheriton on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 21:16
by cheriton

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 34 queries.