The day that cannot be named!

• 18 Replies

Mrs Bee

Re: The day that cannot be named!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 09:54 »
My Grandma was a good cook, all the traditional cooking. Her steak and kiddley puds and pies were legendary as was her strawberry jam. I know she would have approved of the changes I made with her pud to make it even better.

She encouraged me and taught me jam making. I can feel her looking over my shoulder when I make preserves and nodding encouragingly.

But I am mainly self taught. I remember thinking, when young, when mum put the dinner on the table that there had to be better things to eat, and there were.

I learned to cook in self defence and could cook a full roast dinner when I was 11. Since then I have read extensively and practiced. When I married, I would stop at a book shop on my way home from work buy a cook book that inspired me and work through it. Practising on Mr Bee.

And I am still a sucker for cookbooks.

As for the boiled bacon, well she knew about eating boiled bacon so thought she would do some but didn't know how to do it. It tasted of nothing, it was tasteless, and slimy and came with a white scum :(

Think Butterflies, Wendy Craig, and you have my mum. She even looked like Wendy Craig. :lol: :lol:

And to keep the topic, one winter festival the cake she made had icing that could not be cut!! We tried everything to get through that ruddy icing to no avail. So in frustration she gave the whole thing to me in January with the words, 'here if you and your fellow girl guides can get through it, you can have the ******  thing.  So being the hungry bunch we always were, we turned it upside down and scooped the filling out. The cake wasn't that bad. but the icing was harder than concrete. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: 

Mrs Bee

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06 »
Oh and another festival tale was the one when I did boned stuffed duck for the actual day and mum insisted that we came to her for the day after.

She did turkey and told me she had done a chestnut stuffing like the one I do. 
Ooooo me thinks things are looking up.

I am banned from my mum's kitchen when she cooks 'cos she says I make her nervous.

Out came the turkey with a brown liquid oozing from the cavity that looked like.... well I leave it to you to work out what it looked like. ::) ::) ::)

'What it that,' I inquired.

'Chestnut stuffing, like you told me'.

She stood there with totally straight face, lying through her teeth, that she had used my recipe. My sister behind her trying to keep a straight face.

When I raised my eyebrows and told her she had just taken a tin of chestnut puree and stuffed the contents of the tin into the turkeys rear end, both mother and sister fell about laughing!

I mean, really, did they think I could be fooled that easily. :wacko:

Needless to say we all passed on the stuffing.

Debz

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 10:12 »
I'll be at my elder sister's house with her family, my OH and kids, my younger sister and her little boy and mum and dad.  I do the desserts (whatever I like), elder does the main, younger does nibbles and mum does the soup.  It's a very relaxed affair.

wighty

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 19:48 »
There will be just the two of us so a basic starter of  avocado and prawns, followed  by the usual turkey, roast spuds and veg. I never know until about five days before what I am working so can't plan.  I don't like Christmas pud  so Paul buys himself some of the little ones and a pot of cream (which I can't eat) but saying that he has two left over from last year.  I've got to the point where I really can't be bothered!

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 38 queries.