fruit and veg

• 11 Replies

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
fruit and veg
« on: January 28, 2008, 16:58 »
hi

this has probably been covered on here, I was wondering what fruit and veg people give to their hens and what it not good to give them,

ours get

cauliflower
broccolli
tangerines
apples
grapes

they are not too keen on the broccolli though
pauline

Foxy

fruit and veg
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 17:38 »
hi, mine aren't really into their veggies - they do like those tiny tomatoes, its hesterical watching them running around like with giant red noses!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jellyhead

fruit and veg
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 17:43 »
Mine really love a nice lettuce, hate tomatoes, love cabbage and didn't like cooked peelings too much :shock: They do like rice with banana mashed in it, please don't ask what made me try that one out :oops:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

ness

• Experienced Member
fruit and veg
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 19:48 »
Mine love cauli leaves but hate cabbage!  I have found my local veg shop will give me bags of cauli and lettuce leaves for free.
They like apple, raisins, grapes, tomatoes.  Am going to try them on leftover melon tomorrow!  Will report back on the results.  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
fruit and veg
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 23:10 »
I've been told you shouldn't give them citrus fruit chelseablue.  But I don't know how true that is because I've never risked it.

Selkie

fruit and veg
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 23:13 »
Ours go bonkers for the thick stalk of brocoli, isn't it funny how varied their taste is--ChelseaBlue's wouldn't touch it but my hens love it!

They seem to like most of the veggies I've tried them with - tomatoes, peppers (they LOVE the seeds but not the flesh) and celery are among their favourites though

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
fruit and veg
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 18:07 »
hi

will ditch the citrus fruit from now on, did notice that their poos were a tad runny could have been the tangerine, all seem ok,

they love cauliflower and hearts of cabbage :)

westie

• Experienced Member
fruit and veg
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 20:38 »
Ours love cooked cauliflower but not uncooked. Jacket potatoes are fought over but carrots ignored.
They LOVE pomegranate and grapes.
They left the pasta I gave them so haven't tried it again. They do like weetabix soaked with some warm water , a few raisins and some chopped up apple - for a treat :wink:

Selkie

fruit and veg
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 20:40 »
Oh yes, mine go crazy for baked potato skins too, and they loved the one precious pomegranate I gave them; I don't think I've tried them with pasta...

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
fruit and veg
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 09:20 »
Do i spoil my chickens by making them extra porridge at the weekends with apple and raisins? They love it when its cold out - the cockerel makes the cutest 'look what ive found' noises to call the girls over!

bean

fruit and veg
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 12:51 »
Our like apples, lettuce, spinach, beetroot leaves, cabbage (sometimes), cauliflower leaves (sometimes) and tomatoes. They will go mad for grapes and sweetcorn but don't like cucumbers!

cluckingmad

fruit and veg
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 13:18 »
Mine are like a bunch of rapters when I chuck them broccoli, sprouts, cabbage.  They also love apples, plums and cherries.  They nicked all my gooseberries last year, as well as cleaned out most of my redcurrant bush :roll:  They also enjoy some lettuce, melon, tomatoes.  Turned their noses up at cucumber though :lol:
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

xx
Fruit

Started by debih on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 10:06
by Lindeggs
xx
Fruit

Started by RTB on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 17:31
by princesspoultry
xx
Fruit

Started by walker on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 20:15
by 8doubles
xx
Fruit peelings...

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 10:27
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 38 queries.