Fruit peelings...

• 11 Replies

Craigx

• Experienced Member
Fruit peelings...
« on: December 23, 2012, 17:27 »
Hello,

I have a selection of nuts and bananas and orange's and apples, are they OK to eat the peelings or is it just the unpeeled stuff that they can have?

Craig
 ;) HAPPY Christmas/MERRY Christmas!!! :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 17:31 by Craigx »
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Fruit peelings...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 17:53 »
Craig any peelings that have come from your house are considered as scraps so no they cannot have them - please read this thread.
Staffies are softer than you think.

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 22:30 »
If they are coming from your kitchen you no you cant.but this scraps can be good for composting

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 22:41 »
Firstly... i never once said they was from inside the home, at all! - i buy my hens fruit and veg, but i wondered if i had to peel, sorry i should of been more clear!

Craig

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 07:33 »
Hi Craig, all you can do is try them with it, mine will eat apple peelings and love banana skins, not sure about the nuts though   ;)
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 07:49 »
My unscientific observations about peeling/breaking up suggest that it depends on whether they see it as food and whether they can get hold of it. For example they ignore whole grapes but once cut in half they go mad for them. Nuts often need breaking up; Strawberries good; bananas no interest. Best suggestion is try it in different ways. :happy:
Bear in mind that they can have fads (don't ask) and the usual reason ours don't take some foods is because they are already stuffed like little footballs. :)

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 08:20 »
I have found that flocks of hens have varied tastes, mine will do anything for red grapes but won't touch white. However my friends love white and hate red. Same applies to many things I have been told they will love, so I suggest you just try them. As for how to offer, it may be safer to crush the nuts to avoid choking (if that can happen?) and I tend to break open fruit so they know its food. Hope they enjoy!

Prod

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 12:47 »
Mine wont eat any greens or carrots  but they love apples which I buy in 'fun sized' bags that I keep in the shed on the field. They love it sliced up and take it from my hand. The Black Tailed Columbian, Margo, loves the pips  so I either offer her the pieces with the pips in, which she pecks first, or just put them in my hand for her to take.  I went to buy some logs today and they had free range chickens. The son came out with a plate of toast and what looked like Christmas cake and put it in the run. I didnt see the chickens eating it, thought they must do if the owners put it out, but it was funny watching their cockapoodle pup pinching rounds of toast from under the wire netting!!

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:52 »
mine love to jump up and get the cherries off the trees, and have lots of fallen apples and pears - peel cores and all  :)

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 13:40 »
Mine seem to like apple (amongst many other things!) but I have often wondered if the pips are safe for them. I think apple pips contain a certain amount of cyanide and though it would be a tiny amount I'm not sure how much could be harmful?

Also re the oranges in craigs first post I have heard that citrus fruits shouldn't be given to hens?
Helen

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 13:48 »
I spoke to my vets about this and your hens would need to eat nothing else but the pips for several months for it to have any effect on them so don't worry  :)

helens-hens

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 10:27 »
Thanks for the advice re the pips - I can now happily give them my discarded apple cores!

xx
Veg peelings

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 23:24
by SnooziSuzi
xx
potato peelings

Started by judyboo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 18:34
by chicken soup
xx
potato peelings

Started by darren64 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 12:44
by fastmonkey85
xx
potato peelings

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 19:41
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 39 queries.