Help starting a Howard Rotovator please!

• 23 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Help starting a Howard Rotovator please!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 10:42 »
Hi all

I have changed the fuel, downloaded the manual, put the choke in the right position and pulled the cord a hundred times and still no luck.

It sounds like it should start but just doesn't.  Really gutted cos I love the look of the vintage machine and could really do with it working.  Should I give up? have it serviced ?- not sure who can help with type of thing locally - near Dartford?  Any advice much appreciated.
Aubergine

Don't give up on it..... not unless you've definite proof its not longer breathing.

I've been told they are robust and long lasting machines - check for mower / garden machine service places if there's no one who can give it a look over for you.  Ask for estimate of cost. At least this way you stand chance of getting the old thing working for quite a reasonable price....rather than buying a new machine.

I can imagine how cheesed off you are about it right now! :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

aubergine

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 16:29 »
Thanks for the advice,Learner and Gwiz. I am going to give it another go next weekend ;)fingers crossed,I will check out the servicing places locally.Gwiz fab offer,much thanks...you never know I may take you up on it as a last resort,I would be so sad to let it go :(.I will let you know how I get on.I love this site some really helpful,knowledgable people who give advice to novices like me.
Aubergine

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 22:03 »
Any news?  :unsure:

Up and running?

aubergine

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 20:46 »
 :)Came back from service....started first pull :D,worked well yesterday ,a little bit smokey but amazing for a machine that must be from the 1950`s.Thanks for all the advice,I am so glad it works as I love it,will post some pictures as soon as I can.
Aubergine

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 00:31 »
:)Came back from service....started first pull :D,worked well yesterday ,a little bit smokey but amazing for a machine that must be from the 1950`s.Thanks for all the advice,I am so glad it works as I love it,will post some pictures as soon as I can.
Aubergine

I'm delighted your Howard is in-service again... congratulations. Brilliant machines aren't they!

I've a feeling they'll give more years of hard-labour than some of their modern counterparts.

aubergine

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 21:20 »
Hi all

Had the Bantam out on the allotment today.  Started first pull and worked a treat.
Here is a photo of it in action.

Aubergine
Rotavator working (640 x 480).jpg

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 00:24 »
A great looking machine. It looks very similar to the Howard 200 that I have.

I am pleased to hear yours is now running well. :)

I asked a local service firm to take a look at mine as it had an oil leak from the drive sump and needed refilling everytime I used it. It arrived back along with the bill but no oil in the sump!  :(

I topped up with oil and then discovered the drive shaft oil was still leaking. The service agent had not touched this (despite being told that was the main reason why I wanted it serviced). They had only serviced the villiers engine (which was running well before it went in).  :blink:

It was collected again with an apology (someone had forgotten to note down my request).  :wub: When it came back the 2nd time they were sorry but they could do nothing about the leak!  :(

A very expensive outing for my Howard 200 and still no solution to the problem although the engine was running with more umph. £90 more umph  >:(  >:(

So I guess I am simply going to have to buy oil shares to keep it running.... :(

aubergine

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 01:41 »
Learner...so sorry to hear,keep the faith...I had a bit of an ordeal with mine,still a little tempremental,starts well but sometimes cuts out for reasons Ido not understand!!! but when it goes ,it is brilliant for it`s age.
Aubergine

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 13:36 »
Thanks for the encouragement - for their age they are brilliant machines... I certainly prefer the drive wheels on the Howard to the modern digging tines only.   :)

My machine chugs along at quite a speed making brilliant work of even the hardest patch of clay. Where I have added barrow loads of compost the Howard has mixed it in and improved the soil no end.  :)  :)

xx
to buy or not to buy HOWARD the rotovator

Started by liz from the fizz on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 20:50
by Bigbadfrankie
sad
Howard 350 rotovator

Started by Keith Davidge on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 20:21
by mower man
xx
Howard Bullfinch rotovator manual

Started by paulf91 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 20:29
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Howard 700

Started by jimbeekeeper on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 17:32
by jimbeekeeper

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 39 queries.