Duck dilema

• 4 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Duck dilema
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:34 »
We hatched 6 call ducks under a broody hen. The breeder we got the eggs from offered to swap any excess drakes for ducks.  They are 3 months old now and we have 4 drakes and 2 ducks.  My worry is how the trio we are keeping would react if we introduced another 1 or a couple of ducks.  Can anyone give me advice, opinions or suggestions please.
Thanks in advance
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Sassy

Re: Duck dilema
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:31 »
The advice I have read on here in the past suggests that introducing ducks to ducks is not the problem it is with chooks. If I was going for more ducks I would do it :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:18 »
I would say that there should be no problems, especially as our 'keep' drake will be so young still. However I have watched my 1 year old drake be absolutely vile to pheasants that 'came in' over the winter. The drake was prepared to run the full length of the field to chase them away. He was also particularly awful with a wild Mallard mum with her brood of 11 ducklings that happened int of the field.
I think it would be best if you can quarantine (for health reasons) the new birds from your 'keep' birds for a couple of weeks within view of each other then mix the two groups with careful watching just to make sure there is no agro.
Ducks don't seem to be as bolshie with each other as chickens so I think with care you will have no problems.

Orchardlady.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07 »
Thanks for your advice folks.  Little boys now rehomed and their new mum is over the moon with them, we are sure they will be well looked after in a call duck haven.  Our new little girls ensconced in own pen and originals are very interested and appear friendly. Fingers crossed it goes well, I'm very positive about the situation and so pleased that OH got his own way about ducks... they are fab  :D

Spana

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:37 »
Now if it had been me i would have kept the 4 call duck drakes and found homes for the 2ducks.

Call drakes without any ducks live very happily together.  They look just as pretty and you dont have the constant racket that the ducks make  :)

xx
Dilema?

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 20:44
by danmegal
xx
Dilema

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 23:02
by ANHBUC
xx
Bedtime Dilema?

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 22:42
by agingchick
xx
New Doodlehouse Mimi - Perch dilema **WITH PICTURE**

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 12:55
by SMS6

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 38 queries.