Another Very poorly hen; can anyone help?

• 18 Replies

NewtoChickens

Re: Another Very poorly hen; can anyone help?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 11:59 »
We have tried feeling the crop. Do they have a bone there as that is what i can feel? or is that the impacted crop? she has stopped drinking and eating now and continuously wants to sleep! suggestions?

Casey76

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 15:26 »
The crop sits on the right hand side of the lower neck, just infromt of one of the breast muscles. 

When it is empty (first thing on a morning) you shouldn't be able to feel anything, as it then lies flush against the breast muscle.

When there is food in there you will be able to discern the individual grains or pellets, a bit like an old fashioned bean bag.  If it feels fibrous, then it is possible she had a ball of grass/hay/straw in there which is not good.  if you can feel anything hard, then she may have swallowed something (a stone or similar) which is too big to pass through into the gizzard.

Unfortunately it is quite difficult to tell from an internet forum when it comes to non-obvious ailments.

She sounds quite low, poor thing, and you might want to prepare youself for her not recovering :(

NewtoChickens

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:25 »
Thank you everyone for your posts! Unfortantely last night the poor thing died :(, im glad in one sense as i really didnt want her to suffer :happy:. However, now i only have one left (Cuckoo). I feel i should get another hen soon as i dont want her to be lonely. is it best to introduce one or two hens?

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 10:00 »
Sorry to hear about your hen but she was so poorly bless her.

Yes, you now need to increase your flock as you can't keep just one hen as they need pals.  I would get at least two new girls of a similar size. You have to keep an eye on them when you introduce them to each other

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly Hen

Started by frillfoll on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 09:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly hen???

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:13
by Kathie
xx
Poorly hen. Please help!

Started by Caramelle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 11:43
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 34 queries.