Beetroots too small

• 13 Replies

Natasha _38

Beetroots too small
« on: October 07, 2009, 13:03 »
Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong with my beetoots? They should be ready for harvesting now but are still really small. Other websites advise that these are really easy to grow so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong.
I planted several rows in at the end of July; one row may have been overshadowed by the radishes I planted (I think they were Hils Baluer & they are really leafy) & the other rows near some carrots.  As they were all root vegetable I thought they would be ok together. The carrots are doing well & the radishes are huge.
We do have a bit of a problem with a tree providing shade over some of the plot so could understand if some in this area were smaller than expected. The leafy tops looked very nice (we used a few sparingly in salads) - maybe I over watered/fed them ? Could this be the case? I just want to know what I've done wrong so i don't make the same mistake next year s as I love beertroot!

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: Beetroots too small
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 13:52 »
Hi Natasha,

I'm not sure what the problem is but I watch the responses with interest - I had a terrible time with beetroot this year after trying three or four varieties and only having one respectable crop.

Roll on spring!
 ;)

peterjf

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 13:53 »
watering and feed are the prob i think

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 13:59 »
I might tend to blame the weather  :ohmy:. Our beetroot harvest was pretty poor this year (small fruits and few in number) and its normally bumper to say the least  :(.

Lorna.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

gypsy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 14:03 »
The beetroots that I planted in June were fantastic  but I planted 2 lots in july and neither of them were any good, I just pulled the 3rd lot out this morning, they were really tiny roots. My theory is that our July and August weather was the problem, not enough sunshine, my neighbour had the same problem. We sowed boltardy ones. Catherine
Catherine

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 14:43 »
Beetroot sown as late as this always depends on good weather to produce a crop. It was very dry in East Anglia through August and September and however well they are watered you cannot beat a bit of proper rain.

PS. I sowed some at the beginning of July and they are wonderful, but they had 2 weeks of rain to help them.

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 15:33 »
July is a bit late, we have (North Lincolnshire) had several rows come very well this year (all Boltardy) but last row in were small and I put it down to not thinning properly (lots of other jobs to do - my excuse) and dry conditions. Early rows came to a good size at 3 to 5 inches across. All have pickled well but little ones at 1 to 2 inches across whilst tasty when pickled as baby beet were a bit fiddly.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 17:47 »
I did 3 sowings of beetroot this yr , the first 2 where fantastic but this third crop im using now is very poor compared to others.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 08:18 »
Likewise, my last sowing is rubbish.

It's just the time of year & the related growing conditions.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 14:01 »
Same for me.  The last sowing didn't come to much.  I started sowing quite early this year under protection and they were great.  As were the next two or three sowings.  Just the last one was a bit sad.

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 22:15 »
My late ones are also small. They have been fed and watered and this rain should help. Is it possible to cloche them to speed things up?

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 09:56 »
I sowed mine in early April and I dont use to many so I have had a long cropping season off them, I added Blood Fish and Bone at sowing stage and I have at the moment 1" to 6" roots.
PICTURE 1 2106 (Small).jpg

Riala

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 10:00 »
My beetroot, actually... all my harvest were small this year, or not harvestable at all.

Beets were about 2-3cms across, carrots about the same, 3-5cms long, sweetcorn, out of 14, only 2 were edible, toms got blight, lettuce was perfect, beans were a poor crop.

I blame the weather.

Natasha _38

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 08:38 »
I have ordered some fleece so will try & put the best of them under this. One row was mainly just leaves, a tiny root on them but I didn't let go to waste & we mixed in with some spinach as part of last nights roast dinner!
I think I read somewhere on the forum about soaking the seeds prior to planting; it didn't say this on the seed packet so I didn't do, maybe worth trying for next years crop. I think we'll probably have a few tiny beets which is better than nothing.

xx
1st beetroots in the pan

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2019, 13:31
by Aidy
wireless
beetroots

Started by jimbo1878 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 11:01
by prakash_mib
xx
Baffling beetroots

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 19:08
by Christine
xx
Monster Beetroots

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 26, 2013, 19:21
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 38 queries.