Watering Tomatoes from below.

• 27 Replies

Trillium

Re: Watering Tomatoes from below.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 04:24 »
Another way is to cut the bottoms off 2 litre soda bottles and bury them, neck down, almost to the rims. Fill them everyday with water, and add feed as needed since the water won't be sitting.

elibump

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 06:39 »
In one greenhouse they're in the border soil, but in the other they stand in washing up bowls.

They're either throw outs or from the pound shop.

I refuse to do the old joke.

Of course, washing up bowls. How did I not think of those !

Thanks DD.

Perhaps you need to do more washing-up??  ;)
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 08:44 »
we stood ours on a bed of gravel in the greenhouse, cut a big hole in bottom of pot to allow roots to get to water then water the gravel and feed from the top.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 09:23 »
if i use washing up bowls to water the greenhouse toms when im away next week will that keep them going for the week?
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 10:11 »
No!

If it's hot, they last me a day. In cooler weather every other day.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 10:18 »
cheers DD, just hope my daughter remembers to come round and top them up for me.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 13:47 »
I've got my tomatoes in grow bags - some are in those double sleeved pots which fit into the growbags - you put water in the outer ring and diluted tomorite into the inner pot .  I've also got two grow bags  where I have cut two holes and fitted in plastic grids which you water through - I think I bought them in the garden centre.  In these bags I planted the tomatoes through cut off lengths of plastic drainpipe about 20cm or so in length.  The tomatoes were planted into the growbag soil and I then filled the drainpipes with compost, removing any small lower leaves where necessary.  In all the growbags, the minimum area of soil is exposed, so less evaporation and it is easier to water, especially the double sleeved pots though they are quite pricey so I only got enough for 6 plants. 

They've been growing outside (in open cold frames) until this weekend when I moved them into our new greenhouse.  Some of them have grown three inches in two days!  I have been watering them a lot but don't want to overdo it as it is difficult to tell if the compost in the bag is drying out - is it possible to water too much?  Is there a general  rule of thumb per plant per day? 

Also, should I now cut off the leaves below the first truss?  I have seen this advice on another website but would appreciate a second opinion.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 13:51 »
You can over water tomatoes and they can split and become tasteless. How much I use is down to the weather, it varies according to how hot or humid it is.  I would remove the lower leaves so the plant puts its energy into the tomatoes.
Cheese makes everything better.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 18:24 »
Yeah, I think I've a moisture sensor somewhere (bought but never used  ;) ) so I'd better check the grow bags.  Actually tomatoes are quite tricky aren't they - if you let them dry out and then water too much you get blossom end rot.  And last year I lost all mine (outdoor ones) to blight.  Never mind, I keep trying  :)

I will remove the lower leaves - thanks for that Ice

devondave

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 20:03 »
if you get 4 pieces of 2 x 1 timber and some thick'ish polythene, ( bit like blue peter here lol )  fix the pieces of wood to form a frame them fix the polythene inside the wood frame, now put it on a flat surface stand your tom plants in and put enough water in so the plant takes it all up leaving the tray empty, I made these for mine and have been very pleased with the reults, even got some red toms on the plants wooohoooooo   :)

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 20:44 »
I have just purchased 3 trays from Crocus for £7.99 each, plus postage.  They are solid plastic and I am very pleased with them.  The price seemed high, but the quality is good and they will last for years.
Here is the link

http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/product/plastic-pots/pots-&-containers/saucers/growbags/classid.2000007885/

Bombers

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 10:16 »
I have for the first time, tried indoor tomato growing (in a conservatory) and purchased some 12" terracotta pots  with 15" diameter trays. once the plants were established, the roots protruded through the hole in the base of the pot. I filled these trays with grit. I water them everyday (into the trays), and feed once a week (into the pot). I'm very happy with the results, and will be doing the same next year.  8)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Jen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 13:06 »
I agree with Ice,  careful not to over water
I water mine when they need it, every day
in hot sun (ha ha) every three days or so in dull
cloudy weather, like today, and feed 20ml of
tomarite to a can on every watering from the top.

Works for me   :)

xx
Watering tomatoes

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2018, 20:20
by Tenhens
xx
How much watering for tomatoes?

Started by Manlea1 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 10:33
by Manlea1
xx
Watering Tomatoes

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 21:35
by mumofstig
xx
Watering Tomatoes

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 22:48
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 39 queries.