Monster Beetroots

• 12 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Monster Beetroots
« on: November 24, 2013, 14:55 »
I'm getting them(mainly Italian Chiogga) almost up to football size without a hint of woodiness. I've not been trying to grow monster veg so can only put it down to loads of manure, a bit of Growmore and a good summer.

Anyone else grown monster veg without trying?

Trillium

Re: Monster Beetroots
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 15:19 »
The secret is in the manure   :D  When I add lots, I get a regular triffid crop, like 3 ft tall chard, 7 ft tall tom plants, etc.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 20:20 »
Roots in manure? I keep hearing about  this not being such a bad thing as they might have you believe (forking etc).  Tell me more  8)

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 20:41 »
I think beetroot are okay with some manure. Carrots and parsnips fork when in contact with fresh manure

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:04 »
Some say that manure causes parsnip and carrot roots to fork as they seek out nearby tasty morsels of food in the manure, others say it's just the obstruction caused by lumps of manure which causes them to fork just like coming up against stones does.

She'll correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember Trillium saying that she grows them in manure with no forking problems at all!  8)

Beetroot don't depend on an uninterrupted root run to develop their nice regular globe shape, so manure is not a problem for them.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 21:50 »
I had a poor crop those who got huge beetroots did you sow direct or transplant I transplanted mine and they were very small.  Is it worth soaking the seeds first. Would really like to get a good crop next year

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 21:58 »
I think I started mine in modules.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 22:26 »
I did modules and seed.. no need to soak them tho. When I thinned the seed planted patch I planted the thinnings. So I got 3 different crops. All grew well and pulled the last lot yesterday and bottled last night.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:10 »
This year some of ours were massive too. Not sure what was different in what I did. Even the same packet of seeds as the previous year.

Nine inches across was the largest and some of it is still in the fridge  :lol:  Not woody at all
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 08:58 »
Just got the last of mine up yesterday. Kestrel F1. All very small, about ping pong ball size. Odd one or twohave been bigger. I set them off in modules and transplanted. Could this be why they stayed small? I had 3 dozen plants in and only got about 3lb off them in total.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:23 »
Mine were sown direct. I think that what made them monsters was the heavy manuring of the soil, the good weather and the Growmore. I used three varieties: Chiogga, Boltardy and Detroit. The real monsters were the Chiogga at about 10" across. The dark ones were about grapefruit size

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 09:25 »
MY huge ones were Boltardy, started in modules and then planted out. Plenty of organic matter and BFB. Maybe the weather helped  ;)

Mr Dog

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 19:21 »
This year I've grown Boltardy, Chioggia, Golden Detroit and Albino - all started in paper pots; 3 seeds to a pot and planted out and grown on without thinning. All but the Boltardy have produced clumps of 3-5" roots, which has only produced 1-2" roots (the plants are much more stunted too). All 4 varieties were sown at the same time and grown next to each other. Only 2nd time I've grown non-red ones, but usually get decent roots from Boltardy using this method. Anyway, there's always some pickled baby beets to look forward to  :)

xx
Monster cabbage

Started by drythropple on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 21:47
by digalotty
xx
Monster ants

Started by Liz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2006, 18:22
by John
xx
Monster pea plants have keeled over in the wind

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 20:46
by peapod
xx
Loch Ness Monster (Blackberry)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 15:25
by arugula

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 39 queries.