We've ordered our new weaners

• 3 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
We've ordered our new weaners
« on: April 11, 2011, 18:51 »
These will be our third "batch" of weaners.  A friend of ours brought some land on which to build a house and has enough left over for a smallholding venture.  So we (well, her and my husband did) came to an arrangement that we would do things together - that helped them out as her hubby works overseas alot and my hubby is in his element.

We started last year with two Tamworths, one Berkshire Old Spot X and one Middle White.  They went off to slaughter in October and in November we got four more. 

The second lot are a real mixed bag - complete mongrel pigs - a mix of Old Spot, Tamworth and Saddleback and I swear they have some Wild Boar in there too.   They are destined to meet their maker in about 3 weeks time. 

Out of the first lot our friend had the two Tamworths for her freezer and we had the other two.  Out of this lot, we are having half each, are going to make half into sausages to have a charity bbq at the local pub and have sold the other two and a half.

The next "batch" have been ordered - four Berkshires and two Saddleback Oxford Sandy and Back X's.   They should be arriving at the beginning of May.  We have decided that we will sell 3 and then split the other 3 between us for our freezers as am not sure if we will overwinter again (it was hard work battling through the snow to get there, even though it is only 10 minutes walk from home).  We have already had 3 friends say that they would like to buy half a pig so are already half way there with selling the other 3.

We are also due to get the turkeys again this year.  This is more our friends venture than ours although as hubby lets them out each morning, we do get a free turkey out of it.  But we are having a few of our own this year as a couple of family members have asked if they can buy some of us.

The next thing is sheep, although I don't think that will happen until next year as our friends hubby is working in the States on and off for 6 months and he is more keen on having the sheep than she is.  But my hubby wants a couple so the two men keep muttering over a pint when we go out so I think that could happen sooner rather than later.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: We've ordered our new weaners
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:29 »
Out of small acorns.......

That sounds as though the venture is building up nicely for you, good luck with it! :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:54 »
lucky you - Berkshire blacks are what I want and if I had room I too would have a few sheep. Dont forget to post photos of them when you get them and throughout their growth  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:02 »
Sounds a brilliant way to build things up - and great fun for everyone!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
new piggies ordered

Started by GTFC197 on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

37 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 19:23
by GTFC197

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.