tomatoes - need ripening

• 10 Replies

mikepartridge

tomatoes - need ripening
« on: August 23, 2009, 19:53 »
hi all

this summer has been the first go for us at growing toms and veg... and we've loved it.  we've got a few tomato plants outside with lots of toms on them but most are still green and someone said to me that they're unlikely to ripen on the vine this late in the summer. 

is that right?  and if so, should i pick them now?  and how do you ripen them once picked?

thanks for your help

Mike

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Re: tomatoes - need ripening
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 19:56 »
I read somewhere, may have even been on here, to put old banana skins near them.  I have chucked a few at the bottom of my plants and my green toms are now starting to turn red  :D

Worth a try  ::)
Emma

farmersue

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 19:57 »
We could have weeks of warm sunshine ahead, so my advice would be to leave them for now and give them a chance to ripen on the plant. Having lost all mine to blight last year, i'm thrilled that this year i've actually got some to eat. Once they start, they seem to ripen quite quickly.

mikepartridge

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 20:03 »
wonderful.  thanks very much for the tips.  i'll leave them for now and see if the sun in south wales can bring them round.

we've been using the topsy turvy planters - http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/24/topsy-turvey-tomatoes-planter/ - and they've worked really well.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 20:42 »
I have been watering mine twice a day for the past three weeks and they are now ripening better than usual (and using tomorite once a week).  They are in a greenhosue though but weather here has been rather cloudy most days recently.  Not sure whether this is a factor but they do seem to like to be kept very well watered - worth a try.
John

wighty

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 20:43 »
We've had the best results for he last three years for the  'outdoor toms' which are the ones that  do'nt look as if they are going to do anything.   The 'prime' tomatos planted indoors in the green house have  done  nothing

Babstreefern

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 21:01 »
We're always successful with our toms - the first to ripen on the allotment.  When the flowers appear, feed once a week, when the toms come along, feed twice a week.  Water every day, and yes, banana skins do work
Babs

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 21:43 »
Like every one else has said pleny of time yet, any green ones at the end of the season harvest bring indoors keep cool they will ripen slowly over the next month extending your season a little longer.
I strip all mine and put them into those flat cardboard boxes you get from the supermarket & leave them to ripen every year.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 21:49 »
Having had really bad blight last year I stripped mine (outdoor) too at the first sign this year. 20 kilos ripening nicely on the window sills for eating now or freezing and any still green will be chutney :D

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 21:58 »
Mine have started ripening in the last few days - most are in the greenhouse but they all started off outdoors as we only got the greenhouse at the end of July.  The cherry toms started first (Gardener's Delight) followed by the beefsteak (Costaluto Florentino), then the plum tomatoes outside (San marzano).  The plum ones inside are still green, but like people have said, once they start you are inundated with ripe ones within days - I guess it's all that ethylene gas floating around.  Stand by your preserving pans and freezer bags everyone  :)

mikepartridge

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 15:13 »
Gosh - thanks very much for all the tips and news of your experiences.  I like this website - v friendly folks.  thanks.

Toms will stay out for a while yet and, if you're driving past, you may see a few bananas hanging nearby!

xx
Ripening Tomatoes

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2016, 06:33
by Growster...
xx
Ripening tomatoes

Started by lauren on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 15:28
by azubah
xx
Ripening Tomatoes

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 23:18
by juvenal
xx
Ripening Green tomatoes.

Started by Fluff on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 09:57
by gobs

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 29 queries.