New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Hello from Fife

• 8 Replies

LetTheSunShine

Hello from Fife
« on: August 19, 2019, 12:53 »
Hello everyone.  I've been checking out the website and reading forum posts on and off for a while - usually when something wasn't going as planned or as I thought it should - and figured it was about time I signed up and joined the community.  This is my fourth growing season and looks set to be my least successful.  Still, I've enjoyed it and what I am able to harvest is tasting all the better for being so scarce!  Looking forward to picking up hints and tips from you all to make next year better.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello from Fife
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:46 »
Hi and welcome  :)

I had a not so great season last year due to the drought we had here in the south.  This year is much better  :D  Gardening is a bit like that, but there is always next year.

What have your issues been this season ? 

LetTheSunShine

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:08 »
I'm growing in containers, a couple of raised beds and a small greenhouse and I've not had success with much.

Outside slugs have been my archenemy and eaten anything I've tried growing in my veg bed to the point I'm fed up seeing seedlings one day and bare earth the next!  I won't even try direct sowing next year.  They've also had more than their fair share of my bean plants, which are in grow bags, although I see now there are some beans developing but probably only enough for 2/3 boilings from 3 plants!

I've had one courgette(!) from 2 plants, one of which seems only to be producing male flowers.  I've had fruit from but then they've rotted when they were still really small.

A patty-pan squash hasn't produced anything, although I can see flowers forming but they come to nothing.

Tomatoes started well and I had lots of flowers but only about half the trusses formed fruit and the few that we've had so far have smaller than I'd expect and some have been floury.  Some have also got blossom end rot.

Similar thing with my cucumber, plenty flowers but not many developing fruit.

To be fair, we were away for the 10 days in July when the weather was at its best in Fife, then again for 6 days in August and friends were looking after the garden so inconsistent watering might have been a problem in the greenhouse some of the time.

On the plus side, my lettuces have done well and it looks like I'm going to have a decent chilli crop!

Snowpea

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 08:18 »
Hi and welcome to the site.
 :)

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 14:26 »
Hello everyone.  I've been checking out the website and reading forum posts on and off for a while - usually when something wasn't going as planned or as I thought it should - and figured it was about time I signed up and joined the community.  This is my fourth growing season and looks set to be my least successful.  Still, I've enjoyed it and what I am able to harvest is tasting all the better for being so scarce!  Looking forward to picking up hints and tips from you all to make next year better.

Welcome!

How is bonnie scotland doing. I was in St.Andrews for 6 years with the Air Force. Moved back to wales in 2015. I do miss Scotland.
Ches

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 16:53 »
Hello and  a warm welcome to the forum :D

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 12:26 »
Welcome. 👋🏻👋🏻

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 18:13 »
Outside slugs have been my archenemy and eaten anything I've tried growing in my veg bed to the point I'm fed up seeing seedlings one day and bare earth the next!

Nice to meet you, from one noob to another, on this forum. I'm still in my first season so everything is new to me. I hear you on the slug dilemma: I honestly had no idea just how many slugs can continually spawn in my garden. I've dotted little plant pot saucers in specific places and doshed cheap ale in them, which seems to be the most effective, but in the long run the cost mounts up. I use crushed egg shells sprinkled around the base of my beans and ask friends to save theirs for me. I tried copper tape around pots, but can't be sure about results yet. Grrr... those pesky slugs.

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018

xx
Hi from Fife

Started by Mulderrig on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2020, 21:37
by Mulderrig

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 40 queries.