Dare I try to straighten up a Medlar Tree?

• 7 Replies

Hectare

Dare I try to straighten up a Medlar Tree?
« on: February 23, 2012, 13:54 »
Lovely cropper, is still fairly young and approx 9 feet high (if it were standing straight up). But it has developed a serious bend and leans over part of the plot so access to one bed is now restricted by overhanging branches and the bend/angle of the lean.

Dare I try to loosen the soil (clay) around the roots and attempt to either set it more upright with a supporting stake, or perhaps loosen, then 'swivel' it round at a different angle?

Thanks all....

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 14:02 by Hectare »

Trillium

Re: Dare I try to straighten up a Medlar Tree?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 15:42 »
Don't disturb the roots because this will set back the tree about 2 years.

Instead, get a long, strong cane and start binding the bottom of the cane to the base of the trunk, bind it about halfway up the length, then finally, about 3/4 up, with wide soft string (even poly will do here or lady's tights) gently pull some of the bend upward - but not all! You might snap the branch.

In a couple of weeks gently pull a bit more of the bend straighter, etc, etc. By end of summer the bend might be fairly straight. It can be left for winter but by early spring the works must be released since the tree will continue to widen in trunk and the strings will start to girdle/cut into the bark.

If there's still some bend next year, start fresh and this should finally sort it out.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 15:43 »
You could try by driving a stake in some feet away and slowly straighten it by the use of a 'Spanish Windlass'   A little each year may do it.     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Hectare

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 15:57 »
Thanks for these suggestions..the trunk is fairly sturdy so not much bend available but sounds worth a go. I thought a Spanish Windlass was a yacht loving Senorita...  :))

Glad I haven't tried to meddle with the roots.

Thanks again

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 21:15 »
My medlar has grown naturally from a sapling into a wonderful natural "corkscrew" shape.   Not the right word, but my point is that I don't think medlars have a particularly straight habit.

My tree is now approx 20ft high and 20 ft across after 15 years and is my favourite plant in my garden. Wish I had room for another.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Hectare

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 21:50 »
Interesting...so if I leave it alone, when it gets taller, it should still be AOK. That is helpful. I really like my Medlar too, and despite some other rather negative views elsewhere about the fruit, I have made some delicious jam and jellies from it. I think it is vastly underrated and as a 'heritage' species we should treasure it and rediscover its charms....
Thanks again to all

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 22:38 »
It doesn't much matter if you straighten the top or not. Do whatever suits you best. But if it obstructs one area now, imagine it in ten years when it's much bigger. By then it will be too late to straighten.

If you start now, you can manage to straighten it a little bit over a few years then stop whenever it looks like something you're happy with. As I mentioned earlier, you can pull back the top only short bits at a time.

Hectare

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 22:58 »
Good point Trillium..its overhanging branches make it necessary for me to stoop uncomfortably to work on that part of the bed, so it may be a trade off between getting some of the obstruction raised a little out of the way using your method, while hoping for natural growth to take the offending branches upwards, as the whole tree develops.
I also need to consider if the added bulk of its growth will actually make it lean over even more if I do nothing...Still I'd rather have the tree producing fruit and giving structure and shape to the allotment even though it may be at the expense of an area of planting (I only have a half plot at present).

Many thanks for the useful tips and views..off to bed now to 'sleep on it'. It should be a warm weekend here in Cambridge

xx
how to straighten a tree

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2015, 12:51
by strangerachael
question
can I straighten an apple tree?

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 29, 2019, 16:38
by andreadon
xx
Medlar Trees

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 10:19
by Yorkie
xx
Medlar advice

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 10, 2020, 08:28
by Deborah1

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 29 queries.