luffas

• 11 Replies

loobs61

luffas
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:19 »
Hi Has anyone grown Luffas before ? Yes I too thought they came from the sea   :D but apparently they are grown like cucumbers and then you leave them to dry and hey presto the shell is the luffa. thought I might give it a try ::)

Kleftiwallah

Re: luffas
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:28 »

I've seen seed packets in the 'interesting section'.  I think they grow as a climbing squash.  Crack on and give it a try.   

I have a squash that is hollow with seeds inside in my 'shed' I've had it for years,  sort of a luffa in reverse!     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

loobs61

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:18 »
Thanks tony, will give them a go and see what happens :)

allot2learn

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 14:24 »
Thompson & Morgan stock them.  £3.99 for 25 seeds.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 15:56 »
We grew them in Africa along our tenniscourt fence.. I didn't know you could eat them!! Ours would dry out on the fence, skin the dry skin off and they make a "Loofa Sponge" for the bathroom..   
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 16:06 »
You can eat them when they are very young, in fact I saw them being cooked on the TV show "Chopped"
I grew them a long time ago, but all the fruit got eaten by the beasties. :(

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 16:29 »
Can't find my growing instructions at the moment, but they need a long time to grow then mature before you can harvest them as luffas. They're easy to grow but once they mature, they need to be left on the vine in a sheltered area for about 2-3 more months to 'cure'. Only then can you peel and clean them up for use.

A few tips, first soak the seeds in water for 24 hours before planting one per sizeable pot into moist soil. And in the UK, you'll need to start the seeds a month or two before the main growing season so they're already growing. Like all gourds and cucurbits, they detest having their roots disturbed so make sure the pot is fairly large because they're fast growers. The contents can later be transplanted to the garden.

They're a climbing vine so you'll need strong support for them to dangle their fruit and remain straight (there's no untwisting a crooked luffah). They're a heat loving plant that needs full sun, so a greenhouse or sunny sheltered area are perfect.

Once bad weather appears in fall, you can bring in the luffa to finish curing but do leave a good chunk of vine attached and let this hang somewhere sheltered and dry (shed would be good).

here's more info:
 http://www.luffa.info/luffagrowing.htm

gavinjconway

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 16:35 »
Spot on Trillium... thats why we grew them on our tennis court fence... Basically just planted some seeds and let them do their own thing.. when dried out pick, peel and use...  But we did have the summer heat for them to grow and dry properly..

gobs

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 18:41 »
Indeed, as Gavin and Trill say, our summers might not give you any proper luffas, however, it's still something to play with.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gavinjconway

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 19:04 »
Ive got a couple of seeds from a seed swap coming... I'll give it a go..

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 19:59 »
are they fruit or veg? :blink:

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 20:15 »
They are a fruit, they are just like Cucumbers.
But they are used as a vegetable.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 20:16 by Lawrence »

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.