grants etc

• 7 Replies

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
grants etc
« on: May 22, 2009, 18:17 »
hi guy

Our site is only small 26 gardens.  I am the youngest person (by about 60 years lol) on the site (run by our assoiciation)

The guys on the site have asked me if i could find out if there is any easy grants out there to get?

Our site is quite open (nobody has a fence) and suffers from vandels and dogs etc etc digging every thing up.  Also the site has natural springs and is on a bank so the drainage is diablolical, and after a really heavy shower all the soil gets washed down onto the bottom gardens.  Also the access roads are just grass and sink into the mud if you attempt to drive.

I was wondering if anyone else had secured grants etc and how you go about doing it and if it is easy?

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Re: grants etc
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 18:40 »
Think grant aid will have changed a bit due to the economic situation, but I would firstly contact your local council - they all have people employed to source funding and they will know of where/who has grants available.  The key often is "community"

One that is quite simple to apply for is the Co-operative Society.   They have small pots of money for community activities.  You need to get an application form from your local Co-Op.  They fund things such as replacing crockery etc for community groups, so I think you would have a strong case as a community group of gardeners. Used to be max £500ish

Would like to know if you ahve any success :D

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 18:55 »
Not sure about your area, as I'm classed as West Midland, but I'd at least try the following for starters:

Town council, Borough or County Council, Local Community Action Groups (CAB or similar organisations or your local library could hold lists of grant giving or charitable bodies), local or regional food groups such as Rural Hubs, Regional Food Groups (is Taste North East one where you are?), National Trust (although they are strapped for cash), Princes Trust (if you are young enough and 60 years junior on your plot!), your local supermarkets (they all want to jump on the "local food" bandwaggon), local Chamber of Trade or Commerce (depending on what they call themselves), contact you local councillor or the town's mayor or MP - a do gooding exercise is always good for their profile - and don't forget your local press - write a good press release (based on the 5 w's in no particular order who, what, when, why, where (we are the local allotment....need help....problems with our drainage...at John Harrison Street (opps - sorry John it just slipped out after reading the book - hope I don't get barred from the site ;)... etc.), and if all else fails, try some benevolent individuals in the town, or celebs who have a know passion for their gardening.

No promises for guarenteed results on the above, but if you don't ask, you don't get....also very important - if you get a negative from your efforts, always ask the person or body you're consulting if they can suggest anywhere else you can try - its your next lead - (e.g. some of your older allotment partners might be ex services who might just have a trust fund to help their members along....you never know ...and good luck (sorry its a long one) :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 19:05 by barney rubble »

beansticks

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 19:29 »
National lottery,under the scheme Grants for all.We recently secured a grant of almost £4000,for a new meeting shed.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 19:37 »
National lottery,under the scheme Grants for all.We recently secured a grant of almost £4000,for a new meeting shed.

Nice one!!! :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 19:55 »
Contact CAB, local voluntary services or local authority and see if they have access to "Funderfinder".  It's software that allows you to fill in details of what you want, where you are etc and matches that up to available grants and funds.  I havn't used it in years, but it used to be very useful.  The "Awards for All", as mentioned above is also good if you match their criteria.  I've had over £10,000 out of them for various junior volunteer run sports groups.
Cheese makes everything better.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 22:34 »
I'm not sure what sort of things you're planning on applying for funding in relation to, but if it's anything permanent, best to get it cleared in principle with the landowner before you start applying for grants  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 23:07 »
this site is dedicated to allotment regeneration - has lots of info about local coordinators an dgrants options
http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari/
trying to be green except when blue

xx
Grants available

Started by Tinbasher on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 09:09
by wellybabe
xx
Grants for water saving & management. Anyone have experience of this?

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 13:04
by corynsboy

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.