Puppy or rescue dog.

• 61 Replies

spottymint

Re: Puppy or rescue dog.
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 15:32 »
Watch out for electric cables, funny to think a dog would chew those, but mine chewed through a live 13 amp extension lead.  :ohmy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 15:38 »
For your home visit they will want to know that your garden is escape proof so a decent height of fencing will be needed also they will want to know where the dog will be sleeping, so if you are going down the crate method then show then where that will be or show them where the dogs bed will be placed. Show them the details of the vets that you use or will be using. Most of the things they will be looking for is just common sense really - good luck :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lardman

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 17:02 »
Fencing - Secured the best I can as far as 120ft with a gate to the rest. 5ft Wood panel on my side. 3-4ft dog wire/boards on the other it was JRT proof though.

Vets - I have details / contact numbers of my preferred and the closest.

Bedding - Causing me problems, should I crate ? can't say I like the idea, but would the dog feel better in a safe space?. Should I look at a material bed, plastic or a blanket/cushion ? I assume as it was a stray it will need toilet (re)training I was going to look at a gate for the stairs until things settled.

Probably not ideal I have the patio up at the moment rebuilding some walls is it ... and then there's the issue of the chickens.

Most of the things they will be looking for is just common sense really

Oh dear.  :D

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2013, 20:30 »
My 3 dogs are all crate trained and yes like you i was put off by the idea at first but could not recomend it more now. As long as you get a comfortable sized crate and only use it as a nice place never as punishment it will become the dogs safe retreat mine eat and sleep in theres by choice and not cause i shut them in. It  means you can go out knowing your dog is safe and not going to destroy anything or injure itself. Non of my 3 have anxiety issues when i leave and are pretty much always fast asleep in their cage when i return. Also great if you have kids in the house as the dog can get away if it wants  to its cage my son and nephews know to leave the dogs when they escape the their crates. I study dog phychology and am a qualified dog groomer so if you ever have a question throw it my way i will be happy to help. Also forgot to say congrats on your new best pal i bet your very excited im sure you will make a great owner :)

joyfull

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 12:52 »
like you I was against the idea of crating but boy after you have used one you will see what a huge difference it makes. There is no stress of coming back to a house in shreds (been there and had several sofas shredded :( ) so you are happier and the dog will sense this so they will feel happier. you can get really nice comfy beds to go inside the cage. My dogs only use a crate until I can trust them but every time I get a new pup and the crate comes out they all want to be inside it (even Charlie who has never used a crate).
Depending on the dog and the dogs age they may thing 3-4 foot is not high enough (a young Staffy can jump quite high - Rosie can get over our stable door bottom half but now she is getting older (14 months) it is proving harder for her).
As for your building works they shouldn't be worried about that :)
Chickens are another thing. I have 18 - there was a few more but Rosie being a terrier has put paid to a few and it has taken quite a few months to train her to leave them. If your birds free range like mine (they do have a large run where they had to be confined for a while because of Rosie) then do not let your dog off it's lead until you are sure. You can buy training leads (far better than the extendible leads) which you can us for recall training and also to let the dog have more of a run.

Lardman

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 15:40 »
I've just been inspected..  :D

The height of next doors fence seemed to be the main concern, I'll put some extra netting up.

Other than that, I just need to arrange to pick him up.  :D I'll give the centre a ring and find out what type of food/toys/treats to get I would imagine it's best to keep things the same for a while.

Better go and Gurrgle the best way to transport him home, another reason for a crate ?

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 16:18 »
I've been looking at crates too for a new puppy - the soft crates are good for the car if he is not too much of a chewer, otherwise I have also bought a larger crate for sleeping in (the dog, not me!). One of the websites gives you the size of crate for the breed which is handy. My sister swears by using crate training and the dogs love them as it is their refuge.  I've also bought a puppy pen - garden already looks like a prison camp with chicken and rabbit fencing marking out separate areas (lawn? What lawn?!)

Good luck with collecting him - I can't wait to collect mine but have as I have just had a back op  :(

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 16:40 »
Lardman yes a crate in the car is a good idea i have a dog guard as i wouldnt be able to fit 3 crate for my beast so they all hop in together. It can also depend what car you have. Dont worry about keeping everything the same as of course you will have your own routine that your dog will need to get used to and the sooner you do that the better. Dogs are very resilient and will soon start to fit into your lifestyle if you teach your ways from day 1 and be consistent you will soon have a happy dog that knows where he stands. I would suggest keeping the food the same for a couple of weeks and then if your want you can wean onto something that suits you ( he might have a bit of a funny tum for a few days from the change). Cant wait to see some pics  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 17:48 »
I've just been inspected..  :D

The height of next doors fence seemed to be the main concern, I'll put some extra netting up.

Other than that, I just need to arrange to pick him up.  :D

Really looking forward to seeing pictures of him. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 18:27 »
great news and glad I mentioned the fence so it wouldn't have come as a shock.
Like Dawnuss I have a dog guard in my van (it is actually a parcel cage) so my dogs all go intogether but a crate or transporter cage is best. You can though fit a harness to the dog and buy a seat belt attachment if you want the dog to ride on a seat.
Change the food over gradually but be prepared for trying a few types - what suits one will not always suit another :)

BLOOMING LOVELY

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 18:50 »
This is purely my personal opinion and experience only. Our last dog died two years ago. After lots of talks we decided to buy a puppy. To cut a long story short we bought a Shih Tzu, Lhasa Apso cross. He was 8 weeks old. From day one (he was born in one) he has been crate trained,  to him his 'den' is his crate he adores it. He is now 9 months old, fully house trained and the sweetest, most obedient (most of the time hehe)  loving little thing you could ever meet. We do have a garden but he never needs to go in it, he gets 3 walks a day, one being somewhere he is free to roam. Some days he has four. He has a harness that fits into the seat belt on the back seat of the car, he either lies down and sleeps or, looks put of the window.  The reason I say all this is....we thought long and hard about a rescue dog but at the back of my mind was always the question.......why did his last owner get rid of him. With 6 grandchildren I could not afford to take the risk and find my answer. If anyone wants to pm me about my experiences please do so.
My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, also my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be

joyfull

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 19:34 »
with the exception of my Newfoundland x GSD all of my dogs have been rescues and none have been nasty tempered, all the dogs would be assessed at the rescue centre and most will cat test if you request. Most dogs are simply abandoned because the owners either cant be bothered or cant afford to look after them.

compostqueen

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2013, 14:49 »
In reply to Blooming Lovely         My brother just got another rescue springer spaniel as his last one died of ripe old age  :)  The dog was handed into the RSPCA as the owners said he was too boisterous. They had no time for him and he was not being exercised, so bouncing off the walls basically. He had received no training either.  My brother is very kind and patient so has been getting to know his new dog, and despite initial problems with recall which you'd expect, he and his new dog are now best pals and getting to know each other's likes and dislikes.  He finds that the dog obsesses about things so he's patiently trying to divert his attention so he's not fixated, as it stresses him (the dog, not my bro  :).

I think that often people have too high expectations from dogs. They don't think or rationalise like humans and are not mind readers, they don't speak English either, so you have to be super patient  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2013, 18:21 »
My cousin has had 3 rotties and a pinscher in succession, not at once! She trains all her dogs well and had all from puppies. 3 of the dogs had to be destroyed because they were aggressive and could not be relied on.

She now has a rescue lab, 2 years old. The previous owner gave her up because Bella barked a lot, in particular at other dogs. Within 4 weeks my cousin has trained her out of that, and Bella can be trusted not to eat their budgie when he's out flying. A lot of rescues are unfairly pre-judged because their owners don't have the knowledge or persistence to train dogs.

Thrift

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2013, 19:27 »
You should always remember that rescues are usually in that situation, not through any fault of their own, but because the people who bought them as puppies were very often totally inadequate dog owners.

That is not the sole reason; many owners are unable to keep them due to personal or monetary circumstances and sometimes an owner has died or become ill. There are some lovely dogs out there awaiting loving homes - they should be given a chance.

xx
Puppy will not eat puppy food

Started by wendyg on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 13:37
by arugula
xx
Our JRT puppy

Started by Green man on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 17:39
by snow white
xx
New Puppy!

Started by HelenK on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 16:12
by Thrift
xx
Puppy!!!!

Started by YoungChickenLover on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post November 26, 2012, 15:32
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 38 queries.