What should I do with my wood ash

• 19 Replies

WG.

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 09:44 »
A woodburning stove loses relatively little heat up the chimney by comparison to an open hearthed fire anyway.

The only air getting up the chimney should be air which has passed through the stove.   The best woodburners take air in above the firebed as well as a little below it.   This allows a much more efficient burn.

:D

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 14:59 »
Sounds like ihusker and I have the same unit. Mine's a Pacific by Napoleon, and it's built into the former fireplace. The 2 blowers didn't do a lot, so we installed a ceiling fan close by to push the heat back to where we are and it helps (set fan at slowest spin). This past year I also kept the stove door open and I swear that twice the heat now comes into the room (provided the flu is almost closed). The wood sits closer to the back inside so there's almost no sparking flying out the door and any lands on a fire retardant hearth rug (insurance demand). The wood is all well-dried hardwood, no soft except for kindling, so you don't get resin spitting. This coming winter I'm investing in a heat-propelled little fan that will sit on the small protruding lip of the stove to push out still more heat. I'm lucky to have the house at 65F but still can't figure how to get it down to my basement office; the darned heat just won't turn corners.  :wink:

mkhenry

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 21:41 »
Tried to post this before but could not find the forum.I must be getting old :? .............Another use for wood ash,a mix of wood ash in equal volume with burnt soil scattered around tomatoes at a rate of 2 pounds per square yard will make them develope a beautiful colour.Far richer than normal................This trick was used for years by exhibitors and was considered a trade secret,known only to the few. :D
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 00:26 »
Burnt soil? How does one do that?

mkhenry

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 15:21 »
When burning anything in the garden add a little soil or make a small fire in a container and add soil. I am not saying do this I only posted it as a use for wood ash,If you got it and want to use it this is one way.............But there is no need to make burnt soil if you do not have a ready supply of wood ash. To get the same effect use the contents of your hoover.Spread it around the base of your toms,it will also greatly improve the colour........I know it sounds a little odd but let me assure you all of my tips are well researched and where well known at one time or another,and have over the years proved to be correct........Even if they seem way out and wacky.Like me :lol:

xx
My Wood

Started by grymalkyn on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:28
by grymalkyn
xx
Wood anemones

Started by maloneranger on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 14:42
by maloneranger
xx
Wood anemones

Started by Candide on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post March 01, 2023, 16:07
by Candide
xx
Composting Wood Shavings?

Started by sando8901 on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 12:28
by Brambles

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 35 queries.