Rats

• 20 Replies

8doubles

Re: Rats
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 21:12 »
Rats only carry two diseases: I know one of them is leptosporosis but I can'r remember the other one.

I think Weils disease is the other one, the americans have a very nasty virus carried by mice according to the Bill Bryson book i have just started reading. :unsure:

Spana

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 10:04 »
Our postman had that last year, caught it while fishing.  He was very ill for a long time :(
Nasty :(

chuckmad

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 10:32 »
Oh No, the rats must go.
We have a new puppy who hasnt had all her vaccinations and Leptospirosis is on the list to get vaccinated.
I'm really not into poison (had a dog many years ago who died from eating it in the neighbours yard  :() so wondering if traps outside the chicken run are the way to go. My hens arent allowed outside the run (thanks to the neighbours dog)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 16:21 »
Rats can climb very easily, so might not be tunnelling in, but going over the top!

We use Eradibate which is safe for other crits, and also have several Mk4 Fenn traps, which are brilliant for catching the big ones.  Don't ignore them, or you'll be overrun.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 16:55 »
Hi, don't wish to be alarmist, however as an angler and henkeeper I'm aware of Weil's disease and know a couple of people who have suffered from this nasty disease, in some circumstances it can be fatal. there's plenty of information here, hope it is of some use, regards,  http://www.leptospirosis.org/

8doubles

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 17:58 »
Hi, don't wish to be alarmist, however as an angler and henkeeper I'm aware of Weil's disease and know a couple of people who have suffered from this nasty disease, in some circumstances it can be fatal. there's plenty of information here, hope it is of some use, regards,  http://www.leptospirosis.org/

As an angler i was aware of the risk of infection from bankside rats but did not really consider mice to be a threat. The risk of infection from pets is another worry, you never know what tiddles has been chewing.

Well worth reading the link.

xx
rats

Started by delphinium on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 09:29
by delphinium
xx
Rats!

Started by Bonniebean on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 17:26
by 8doubles
xx
rats

Started by zombiechicken on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 14:44
by Lastcast

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.