Silkie

• 3 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
Silkie
« on: July 25, 2019, 12:59 »
Hi all thanks for all your replies to my last messages my silkies are all fine now and getting tamer but I've got another problem now. Since we've had the really hot weather last couple of days one of my silkies is gaping constantly day and night she's still doing it this morning and not getting any better. Apart from being hot the others were panting yesterday but stopped when I put them away. There's no other signs for gape worm seems to be eating ok. They've got shade and ice added to the water but is not making no difference I'm getting a bit concerned about her now. The rest have been in the shade so far today they are fine but it's just her. Put a fan on her yesterday as well and done it again now but not worked .Any help would be good thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Silkie
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 10:09 »
I have an elderly hen who has been doing the same the last few days.  She also looks a bit blue in the face at times and I suspect a heart problem of some sort.

There is very little you can do in these circumstances.  My old lady is treated to a few grapes a couple of times a day to keep her hydrated, but otherwise she finds a cool bit of shade and just sits it out. 

If your hen is younger, it may be an underlying heart problem, but she could survive for years with it.  It might be worth a vet visit just to rule out other complications like an infection that is dragging her down a bit.  If you are happy she is eating and shows no other signs of being unwell, this might be unnecessary.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 21:14 »
Thank you for your reply. She is only a very young hen and just laid her first egg last night  Since then she seems to have stopped doing it. She wasn't even sure where she should lay it and decided side by side with the tortoise. She never laid until about 9 last night maybe that's what it was. She was very proud of herself when she announced its arrival. Cross fingers that should be it but anymore answers I would be interested Thanks everyone

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 08:11 »
Probably just a bit of stress over that first egg then.  I've had a couple that got a bit gaspy just before laying.  It should get easier for her, but she may do it every time.

Glad she is OK and proud of her egg though   :)

xx
help me sex silkie

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 21:44
by YoungChickenLover
xx
Silkie hens

Started by Arnfields on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 17:26
by Arnfields
xx
silkie chick

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 13:04
by sussexchook
xx
silkie bantams

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 09:55
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 40 queries.