Metal coop/enclosure

• 16 Replies

eneville

Metal coop/enclosure
« on: August 16, 2013, 19:47 »
Hi All,

I've had an idea for a chicken enclosure. It's not terribly simple but I think it would be more weather proof than a wooden frame structure where a fox/badger may chew at rotting wood. (I'm a bit paranoid about this).

So, I've had a thought that doing an angle iron/dexion structure with a door, all covered with aviary wire. It'd be bolted to a concrete base, the edging of the base would be roughly a brick taller and wider, so that the inside could be filled with soil. This way they have somewhere to scratch around and would be very secure.

How deep should the concrete base be, and what size of enclosure should I make for six-ten hens? They'd spend the majority of their time in the enclosure and perhaps one hour in the garden free ranging when we can supervise.

Has anyone else done this before?

BobE

Re: Metal coop/enclosure
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 22:37 »
I do know one parameter for you.  A concrete base must never be less than 75mm thick or else it will crack.
From my own experiences with concrete slabs I would get above 100mm, even closer to 150mm.    Others will know about the run etc.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 15:44 »
might be worthwhile having subject transfered to hen section. Moderator can do that for you.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 15:15 »
You are best having 2 to 3 metres square clear floor area per bird if they are in there most of the day.  So for 6 an area of 12 to 18m sq and for 10 birds 20 to 30m sq. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:16 »
Using angle iron or similar inside the coop it will get condensation that will drip from the iron in winter weather, this is not really desirable :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 10:12 »
There is an Australian company www.royalrooster.com.au who do some really great metal/mesh coops.  Apparently they are about to have a UK distributor.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 10:23 »
There is an Australian company www.royalrooster.com.au who do some really great metal/mesh coops.  Apparently they are about to have a UK distributor.

They must be expecting global warming sooner rather than later with those designs.   :unsure:

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 18:39 »

They must be expecting global warming sooner rather than later with those designs.   :unsure:

I wouldn't dream of putting any of my girls in one of those if we had weather like Australia - the nest box area must be like an oven!

rogersimons

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 20:55 »
thease are a bit pricey but about the best ive come across used one for a monkey enclosure..  http://www.weld-mesh.com/animal-cages/aviary#4side

griff

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 20:25 »

I got this one from p and t poultry, at least the fox wont get at them now. I Lost 6 to the fox last year cost about £200 , they won't get the girls any more

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 23:07 »
Was it easy to put up griff?

griff

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 21:23 »
Much easier than I thought framework  very easy to assemble. Wife had to help with the wire she held one end while I uncoiled it around the frame. Wire for the top easier to assemble because it was cut to the right size, Wire for frame  was in one roll so had to be uncoiled  Nice to be able to walk in and not have to bend to clean the pen out

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 23:04 »
The hens certainly look happy in their new safe enclosure.   :D

BobE

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 23:09 »
Is there wire across the bottom?

griff

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 23:00 »

Hope this helps

xx
Metal coop?

Started by foxi loxi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 11:53
by foxi loxi
xx
Metal Coop??

Started by Prod on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 12:01
by helens-hens
xx
Metal roof for coop

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2015, 16:42
by Helenaj
xx
Bedmax for enclosure?

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 16:30
by dawnsmith

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 39 queries.