Fixing Aldi apple trees

• 4 Replies

Lardman

Fixing Aldi apple trees
« on: February 10, 2014, 16:20 »
I went out for chicken food earlier and came back with 4 apple trees  ::)

They're a little beaten up but not bad for the price, they're all (Bramley, James Grieve,Jonagold,Gala) about 5ft tall. I'd like to espalier them if I can. Would it be best to cut them right back to about 18" and start a fresh or shall I try and train what's already there? The lower growth on the Jonagold and the James Grieve looks a bit weak.

I don't have much luck with apple trees - I was almost tempted to get 2 of each, 1 to kill look after and 1 not to mess with.

Nobbie

Re: Fixing Aldi apple trees
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 16:40 »
I think in the first year, I'd just lightly trim the leader and let them get on with it, as the more leaf they have the stronger they will get and should get their roots established. Then next winter you can decide if it's worth training what you've got, or give them a heavy prune to start again.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 17:53 »
If you reduce the weak growth back to about two fat buds, the new growth may well be more robust. Taking back the leader to about half its height will help the trees put more energy into their sides branches.

You will need to put up the posts and wires fairly soon as then you can train the growth in, cutting off anything that sticks out back or front.

It sounds a bit brutal but they will be fine ... good feed of blood, fish & bone raked in about this time every year will help them grow well
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:33 »
I should have added I've put them in large pots / planters as I've not built the wall to train them against yet  :nowink:  I was planning to create a cane framework for the time being.  I have no problem cutting them back brutally, I'd rather get good strong growth than making do just to get fruit quicker. I'll have to take another look at the trees, am I going to see the difference between a "fat" bud and a thin one ?

There's room at the top of the garden for a number of standard shape and size trees, but it's going to take me a few more years to have that area ready. 

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 16:54 »
I've bitten the bullet and lopped them down like these http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/fruit-tree-fans-and-espaliers

Having looked at what was there more carefully I didn't think I'd have made much progress trying to reshape them, if it all goes pear shaped it's not a huge loss and if it works I should have 4 nicely shaped trees for about ½ the price of 1.  :D

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
Aldi Fruit Trees ?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 19:56
by upert
question
Aldi Fruit Trees

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2012, 21:37
by mparveen
xx
Aldi Fruit Trees

Started by Trikidiki on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 10, 2016, 19:37
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.