at what point does the frost damage gage and plum blossom?

• 5 Replies

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
the blossom on these two trees is dying back and looking faded and tatty you might say. there is a tiny nodule on a stick around the faded flowers (a picture would of been a good idea wouldn't it) is this the embryonic plum/gage? I have never yet had a gage from my five year old tree, though my Vicky plum usually provides a few crumbles.  My question is should I try to protect the trees from night time low temps by throwing a sheet or something over them, or will that just damage the blossoms? What does everybody else do, I don't do anything to protect them usually.......

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: at what point does the frost damage gage and plum blossom?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 13:43 »
I also have a plum and used to have a damson tree at my previous house. I don't think these types of trees are bothered by frost - the little nodules you mention are indeed the little fruits forming and they should be fine. It's peaches and nectarines that are much more vulnerable.
Rachael

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
Re: at what point does the frost damage gage and plum blossom?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 18:14 »
thanks for your answer racheael, I will leave them be (unprotected) and will see what happens  ;)

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
The RHS say you should protect when in blossom and for 2weeks after flowering whilst the young buds are developing.  They do list some more frost resistant varieties of various fruit trees.  I've been slinging some fleece over my young fruit trees, hopefully after tonight they will be ok.  Night temperatures on the rise from tomorrow.  If you believe the forecast!

AnneB

The RHS say you should protect when in blossom and for 2weeks after flowering whilst the young buds are developing.  They do list some more frost resistant varieties of various fruit trees.  I've been slinging some fleece over my young fruit trees, hopefully after tonight they will be ok.  Night temperatures on the rise from tomorrow.  If you believe the forecast!

I think that's right.  We have had some years when the Mirabelle plums in our garden haven't produced much after a frost at the wrong time.  To be honest, we just trust to luck and most years we are OK.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Also, those trees get pretty big so it wouldn't be possible to protect the whole tree.

xx
Plum & Apple Blossom

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 07:28
by mumofstig
xx
Plum, Cherry and Peach blossom - too late?

Started by TonyB. on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 13:57
by TonyB.
xx
Fruit blossom and frost question

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 16:24
by mumofstig
xx
Frost damage

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 23:57
by Dan78

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 35 queries.