Onion sets, beetroot, runner beans.

• 12 Replies

sharky

• Experienced Member
« on: March 11, 2008, 00:15 »
Hello,

More questions, sorry! One day I'll be able to offer more answers than questions! :oops:

Onion sets - Should these be sown indoors in pots or is it OK to plant them straight out about now?

Beetroot - paranoid about last frost frying little seedlings, advisable for these to be sown yet?

Runner beans - I would like to get them started indoors in pots to give them more of a chance, is this a good idea and when is the best time to sow them indoors?

Also generally, how cautious should I be of the last frost, it is really making me paranoid!

Many thanks.

Cazzy

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 00:51 »
Wish I could help you Sharky but i'm brand new at this as well and i'm at the panic stages coz i've went ahead and put my onion sets in pots and sown most of the seeds that I bought in pots at the house, now i'm thinking I was a bit too eager lol.

However if disaster does strick I'll be ok coz I've bought enough seeds to feed a small country and will just start again.

Good luck  :)
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 02:28 »
Onion sets are generally planted directly outside, and probably soon as the current bad weather passes. For peace of mind, you could lay some fleece over them (weighted down well) against frost, etc. Cool weather will slow down sprouting.

Runner beans could be started indoors soon, just don't crowd them into tiny containers as they'll want to spread their roots a bit. Same with beetroot - space them well as each 'seed' contains up to 7 actual seeds so you'll need room for those to develop a bit before transplanting.

Since I'm not in the UK, I can't advise on your frost dates - mostly watch what your gardening or lotty neighbours are doing and when.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:29 »
Onion setts: Straight outside any time now.

Beetroot: Outside in the position they are to finish. Sow from mid April onwards to be safe.

Runner beans: Can be sown individually in pots indoors from late march onwards but remember they have to be put in good light once growth starts and protected from cold at the same time. Could be sown directly in the ground from late apr early May onwards.

I'm sure other people will give you different times but the above is fairly safe.

digby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:44 »
I have always had far more success with beans sown directly into the ground than planting in pots first.  Not sure why.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 08:50 »
I wait til the last day of April before sowing runner beans cos we get late frosts here in N Derbys and you probably do cos you're further north
If you sow them too early and it's cold and frosty you can't get them i the ground so you end up with them hanging about the house or greenhouse and they get lanky

We get frost here as late as the second week in June  :roll:   The first year I had my plot I lost all my courgettes, beans and squashes etc to frost on 4 and 5 June so I've not been in touch much of a rush since then
If you do get them in earlier you'd need to protect them frost late frost with glass or fleece etc. Keep an ear out for the local weather forecast

gobs

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 10:35 »
Tender crops should not go out before end May/early June in your area, so as CC says it is way too early to sow runner beans, they grow really fast.

A bit early for most things, other then new pots, broad beans and onion, shallot. there is a month by month guide on the home page. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 13:06 »
I got my plot on 31st March last year so didn't really get going until late April/early May. Even at that my runners were getting leggy by the time I planted them out.
I've just spent over £10 on 6 packets of seeds at the weekend, so I just don't get this "I'll start everything off now and if it all fails I'll just do it all again" attitude.

Maybe it's just me.......... :roll:
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 13:12 »
no I'm sure your right  :D   Try April ish of KG mag as there's 10 packets of free seeds on that  :D   Lidl and Wilko seed is only about average 26 p a packet.  Look out for swops on here too and other lotty sites

I

dibberman

Re: Onion sets, beetroot, runner beans.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 20:34 »
Quote from: "sharky"
Hello,

Hi Sharky i always start my onion sets off in  seed trays in march  and then plant them out in april,this seems to give them a better start than planting straight into open ground.
John

Onion sets - Should these be sown indoors in pots or is it OK to plant them straight out about now?

Ruby Red

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 15:19 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
no I'm sure your right  :D   Try April ish of KG mag as there's 10 packets of free seeds on that  :D   Lidl and Wilko seed is only about average 26 p a packet.  Look out for swops on here too and other lotty sites

I
  I had a look at that magazine but someone said it cost 7 quid and I couldnt find any seeds. Do you mean the Lets grow veg mag. That does cost a lot of money.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

wighty

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 17:41 »
I always start my onion sets off in the unheated greenhouse in dec to get agood root system going.  same as my garlic.  Never had any problems.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 20:11 »
Some good answers here, as I am only about 50 miles or so north west ish I would'nt bother sowing your beans until end of april, beetroot I have some on the go now in pots and they transplant under cloches soon, onions again will go in soon normally about the same time as my earlys. A good measure of when to sow here in the north is about 2 weeks later than the packet says, but remember the weather is changing so much now.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Broad beans, onion sets and snow

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 20:32
by muntjac
xx
Is it too late to plant onion sets, and to sow peas and beans?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2012, 21:52
by sunshineband
xx
autumn planted onion sets and broad beans

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 05:18
by DD.
xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 32 queries.