Bare root plants just arrived! What do I do?

• 5 Replies

Dimblebee

Bare root plants just arrived! What do I do?
« on: April 30, 2021, 17:56 »
Hello All,
I've just received (over a month late  :mad:)
3 x rhubarb crowns
1 x bare root blackcurrant bush
There were no planting instructions at all so I don't know what to do (first timer).
I'm hoping to be able to get to the allotment either on Sunday or Monday (so 2-3 days away) but not sure how to look after them until then. Any advice very welcome! Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 21:10 by Dimblebee »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bare root plants just arrived! What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 08:27 »
I would sit them in a bucket of water to rehydrate the roots.  We are forecast some cold nights over the weekend, so be prepared to move the bucket under cover if need be or chuck some fleece over it.

It is late to be planting bare-root plants, so if you have compost or well rotted manure to incorporate into the planting holes, that would be good.  You are going to have to water regularly as well.  The plants will be heading into summer with an underdeveloped root system, so keep that in mind.  Decent soil that can retain water without getting waterlogged will really help.

Personally I would not worry about fertiliser at this stage.  I would concentrate on getting the plants established and wait until I saw some new top growth before feeding.

Dimblebee

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 08:57 »
Thank you for advice! I've been googling like mad trying to find out what to do.

Am a bit cross as I ordered them at the beginning of March thinking it was a bit late but would be just about okay and have been chasing them for ages with the delivery date being pushed back and back. I'll be so sad if the plants die, not to mention the cost as they weren't on offer!

I'm thinking of buying some micorrizhal funghi. Do you think it's worth it?

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 13:51 »
Are they in full leaf? My black currents are currently flowering and my rhubarb is in full production.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 09:05 »
I'm thinking of buying some micorrizhal funghi. Do you think it's worth it?

It can benefit plants if you are starting in a new piece of ground previously used for something different e.g. grassed area that has recently been turned over to soft fruit.  If you are on an established allotment, in theory the right sort of fungi would be in the soil already, but it can’t do any harm.  It does augment the root system of the plant.

Are they in full leaf? My black currents are currently flowering and my rhubarb is in full production.

I am assuming the plants have been in cold storage prior to shipping, but that is the danger now.  They rush into growth and the roots won’t be able to keep up, so the plant fails.  They will need to be supported with watering all summer I would think.

Dimblebee

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 21:16 »
Thanks Everyone,
I tried to buy the funghi but there was none in either of the 2 local garden centres although they were very helpful and advised me to add bone meal for root development.
I've planted the blackcurrant and the raspberries now. Fingers crossed they're okay- they had some buds on them and a lot of roots. I really hope they work as raspberries and blackcurrants are family favourites! I still need to plant the rhubarb.
Thank you for the advice to water- they will be tended to like babies!!!

xx
Bare root strawberries have arrived - help please !

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 19:54
by aqua
xx
Bare root strawberry plants

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2018, 10:51
by DD.
xx
Asparagus (plants not bare root crowns)???

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 18:03
by yummy
xx
Just received 25x bare root raspberry plants - what now ?

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 13:37
by tode

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 45 queries.