Chicks that Free Range

• 1 Replies

Prod

Chicks that Free Range
« on: October 07, 2013, 16:03 »
I bought some 2 day old Cream Legbars & 4 day old Exch Leghorns earlier this year, kept them in a brooder, fed them the right food etc etc   before I lost half my chickens recently (to infectious sinusitis)  At 14 weeks they were doing ok  but seemed to take a while to 'grow'  so much so I contacted the seller to check, anyway I lost them .   My broody bluebell hatched 3 chicks, 2 welsummer crosses and a buff Orpington which have free ranged since birth.  They are healthy, happy and, at 12 weeks old, look very mature and 'plump' I have never given them any special food, they eat what they find and what I have put out for the others.   Does this mean chicks that free range develop quicker & stronger????

woodburner

Re: Chicks that Free Range
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 20:28 »
Not faster, possibly slower in fact, but definitely healthier. Even without a mother hen to look after them they definitely benefit from *something* about free ranging out doors. Obviously, you have to keep a close eye on chicks without a broody, and keep them indoors/brooder most of the time, but from about the same age as a broody would take her chicks out, brooder raised chicks will benefit from short spells outside!
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
When to allow chicks to free range?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 20:30
by Hensington
xx
Anybody free range?

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 19:22
by greenjay
xx
Free Range - new hens

Started by mrssue on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 11:17
by mrssue
xx
Free Range Hybrids

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 08:05
by Sassy

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 34 queries.