Two Year Anniversary

• 22 Replies

themagicaltoad1

Re: Two Year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 19:26 »
Well if you want any ducks, let me know! I will be doing a hatch in the spring and I never need much encouragement to pop a couple of extra eggs in. :lol:

Not sure about alpacas but I LOVE my sheep. I did chose a moment when my OH knew I was very low as I was living away from home and miserable to tell him that my sister had offered us 2 alpaca (via someone she works with) and I had said yes. It was very funny listening to him gently panicking as he tried to talk me out of it without upsetting me until I took pity on him and told him I was winding him up and I had already said no to them. :lol:

You're so mean to that poor man Kate, although I have to admit there's a farm near us with a big sign outside offering alpacas for sale, and every time we drive past I suggest to the wife that we go take a look- she's not amused. Nice to hear you have your sheep now did you get rare breeds?. How are the girls?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 21:19 »

It would be hard for them to prove that they were carriers and not contracted it as they think cattle have from badgers.  I suppose they could be vacinated as they are not a meat product, as far as I know that is!   :wacko:

Of course but once they have it, just like cattle or badgers, they have it and can be contagious to others. I don't really know enough about bTB but in humans vaccination doesn't actually confer full immunity (I know! I was never told that when they were giving me my jab) but if exposed it accelerates you through the asymptomatic stage so that you can be treated earlier.

Currently you are not permitted to vaccinate against bTB (as it is not possible to tell which animals are infected or immunised on tests but this might change). And alpacas are meat animals in Peru!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 16:51 »

It would be hard for them to prove that they were carriers and not contracted it as they think cattle have from badgers.  I suppose they could be vacinated as they are not a meat product, as far as I know that is!   :wacko:

Of course but once they have it, just like cattle or badgers, they have it and can be contagious to others. I don't really know enough about bTB but in humans vaccination doesn't actually confer full immunity (I know! I was never told that when they were giving me my jab) but if exposed it accelerates you through the asymptomatic stage so that you can be treated earlier.

Currently you are not permitted to vaccinate against bTB (as it is not possible to tell which animals are infected or immunised on tests but this might change). And alpacas are meat animals in Peru!
I thought they might in some countries.

I nearly got a muscovy duck today.  There was one on a central reservation of a dual carriageway.  I did leave it for 2 hours after first spotting it and was concerned it was injured.   I put a high vis jacket on and approached it carefully, it stood up and seemed ok.  So I waited for no traffic and moved closer and it took off although not brilliant it flew over some farm land.  It was only a youngster so not there to nest so possibly had a near miss with traffic and was catching its breath.

Just as well I didn't get it as hubby probably wouldn't have believed how I got it!!   :wub:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 17:34 »
I keep thinking about muscovies but I don't really like their knobbly faces!

Think I will stick to what I've got for this year and breed some of the Saxony's for Christmas. The girls are so pretty and the boy was very tasty and 6lbs plucked and gutted.

ANHBUC

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 18:30 »
Just told hubby about the duck and he was so pleased that I did not attempt to catch it.

Muscovies are meant to be really good meat birds (not as fatty) and it is the lack of the quack that appeals.  My turkeys are ugly so that doesn't bother me just the thought of all the mess ducks make.  Still undecided so may leave it for another year.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 18:44 »
I seem to remember that alpacas were supposed to be at guarding hens against predators  :)

Yes, I heard that too and have been suggesting to OH that we get one. I would sooooo like to have one, but OH is adamant that no more space do we have. :(

People who have the ski challet across the way to my sister in France have 2 alpacas to guard their hens. They are really gorgeous.

ANHBUC

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 20:06 »
I seem to remember that alpacas were supposed to be at guarding hens against predators  :)

Yes, I heard that too and have been suggesting to OH that we get one. I would sooooo like to have one, but OH is adamant that no more space do we have. :(

People who have the ski challet across the way to my sister in France have 2 alpacas to guard their hens. They are really gorgeous.

I don't think you can just keep one as they need company like goats I think.   ;)

silkiechick

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 13:18 »
Yes - they need company so I understand that you should keep them in pairs as a minimum.  We have an alpaca farm nearby and they are lovely - they have longest eyelashes ever... :D

xx
First egg of the year!

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 19:46
by joyfull
xx
After One year I must be doing something right :)

Started by Missie on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 19:07
by Missie
xx
First broody of the year

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 14:44
by Mum2mj
xx
Plans for next year

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 10:43
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 38 queries.