Lautrec Wight - substitute garlic supplied. Will it grow in the north?

• 8 Replies

AnneB

I planned to grow 3 new varieties ( well new to me) of garlic this year.  I ordered Carcassone Wight, Solent Wight and Provence Wight from Kings Seeds.  There was a bit of a delay in delivery due to the weather.  However there are no supplies of Carcassone Wight available due to crop failure.  Quite disappointing, but they have sent me Lautrec Wight instead.

The only info I can find on Lautrec Wight (Garlic Farm) suggests that it might only do well in the south.  Which is a bit unfortunate for me.  Has anyone had success with this variety in the north? I am wondering whether to return it, but happy to give it a go if others have had success.

I wonder if others have had difficulty getting the varieties they want this year? 

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
I wonder if others have had difficulty getting the varieties they want this year? 

I hope you have success growing your substituted variety in "the north". :)

I received my seed garlic this week from the Really Garlicky Co - I ordered 12 bulbs, they sent me 14. No explanation, but I suppose you could say the cloves on the bulbs are on the small side - compared to their usual product.

Happy customer. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

AnneB

Well Bradford is in the north compared with south west France where Lautrec Wight comes from, or indeed Essex where Kings Seeds are ( and where I grew up.) But I know what you mean :)

compostqueen

I've grown it very successfully in North Derbyshire.  I grew the last lot in a builders rubble sack filled with home compostings

AnneB

I've grown it very successfully in North Derbyshire.  I grew the last lot in a builders rubble sack filled with home compostings

That's good to know Compostqueen.  I will give it a try then.  Fortunately the bed earmarked for them this year is at the top of the plot and doesn't get too wet, which I understand they don't like.

compostqueen

They like a free-draining soil!  You can add bonfire ash to the planting area or builders gritty sand, home made compost etc.  Bit of fertiliser or comfrey leaves wouldn't go amiss either  :)

Auntiemogs

I had the same substitution Anne.  I live further south so it will be interesting to see how we both fare. I grew it this year in pots, so not ideal conditions but considering the weather it did ok.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

syks grower

Anne
Both carcasonne and Lautrec are in south west france which have warm wet winters but do also have some snow and frost.

I have grown Lautrec in S yorks on a light sandy soil and had a good crop
as with all overwintering crops it the weather that decides what level of crop.
If your soil is not a heavy clay you should be ok.

AnneB

Anne
Both carcasonne and Lautrec are in south west france which have warm wet winters but do also have some snow and frost.

I have grown Lautrec in S yorks on a light sandy soil and had a good crop
as with all overwintering crops it the weather that decides what level of crop.
If your soil is not a heavy clay you should be ok.

Thanks for that.  It's just that the blurb for the Carcassone garlic suggests it does well throughout the Uk, but not so the Lautrec.  Glad to hear that you have done well with it in S yorks though.  Unfortunately, I do have a clay soil, but the bed they are now in is the best drained one I have.

This year I grew Music, Early Purple Wight and Albigensian Wight at the other end of the plot and they didn't do badly at all, despite it being heavier soil.

xx
Garlic : Solent Wight

Started by tillyt on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 19:46
by tillyt
xx
My 'Solent Wight' garlic has flowered.

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 15:41
by Chiswickian
xx
Should I plant out my solent wight (garlic) from their tubs?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 21:47
by compostqueen
xx
Can you use grow organic as a manure substitute?

Started by ferret1988 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 16:40
by rachelsco

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 36 queries.