Filling a raised bed

• 6 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Filling a raised bed
« on: February 04, 2014, 19:56 »
I got an allotment late last year, so 2014 will be my first growing year.

The plot is on a bit of a slope and I see now that the bottom end is very wet indeed. Luckily one half of the plot will be used for a shed and maybe bee hives, so I only have to consider one half (3.6m wide)

I had some 6" x 2" timbers, so have decided to build two raised beds, each will be about 1500mm across. I know 1200mm (4 feet) is always mentioned, but I've checked and I could easily reach in about 800m.

I'm not to sure yet whether I should build the full height beds, ie the 6 inches or maybe lower it slightly, to give a overall height increase of only 4 inches.

The higher I raise the soil lever, the more material I must find / buy to fill the beds.

I gathered 5 builder's dumpy bags of leaves last autumn .... could I use these to at least go towards filling the beds ?

Could I add fresh seaweed ?

I'll probably also buy several bags of compost (even the low end quality ones) just to add some bulk. I actually see B&Q are selling 125 lites of compost for £5.98, which seems pretty good value.

My existing soil is actually quite good, it's just the matter of drainage that makes me feel higher beds are the answer.

Any advice would be appreciated

Two beds at 3.6m x 1.5m x 0.15m will need 1620 litres of material to fill.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 13:20 by wbmkk »

Auntiemogs

Re: Filling a raised bed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 20:47 »
Well done on getting your lottie!   :)

4 feet is a good guide, as it means you won't have to overstretch from either side from a standing (harvesting) position.  If you are comfortable with more, then I don't see why not...

If you have the materials to hand, I see no reason why you shouldn't use them.  You don't have to fill the beds completely, or even the full bed (yes, it can be expensive so I would use what you have and mix it with compost/well rotted manure, as is appropriate) and I'm sure that if you break up the ground first, there are many veg that would welcome the extra moisture in the downhill beds (celeriac and toms spring to my mind, but I'm sure there are others).

Mags  ;)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:57 »
Hi there, I'm on a soggy clay slope too and am slowly terracing it with minimum 6" raised beds (on pic). One side of them is about 3" higher, what with going up the slope. Are you putting anything on the paths inbetween? I am removing 4ish inches of soil to make new woodchip paths and using that soil to fill the beds, as well as mixing in a few bags of rotted manure. As Auntiemogs says, you don't have to fill them straight off as over the years you'll be adding manure etc which will raise the level slowly anyway.

Also bear in mind that when you have dug the soil, it will fill more volume because it is fluffier.

One consideration might be what effects you have on drainage. Mine have made it a bit worse. My lowest path is currently underwater and I'm going to put a soakaway along the bottom edge of the slope to try and help with this.

Good luck!

Edit to clarify
plot view 3 January 2014.jpg
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 13:21 by surbie100 »

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:57 »
I would go for 6" high beds, especially if your soil is not very well-drained, as some roots can go quite a way down - that's what I did on mine. Also, if you go for 4' wide ones then, although it will give you less gardening area, if you do find it a stretch later on (back prob or whatever) it will be easier for you, plus it will take less filling material! Yes - use whatever soil, compost and seaweed you can find. Been-and-queued compost used to be very good - hope it still is, but go for it anyway.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

crh75

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 16:33 »
but I've checked and I could easily reach in about 800m.

What a reach :lol:

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 15:27 »

What a reach :lol:

If I put a piece of wood across the top, I can lean on this with my left hand ... and use t'other one to do whatever I have to.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 14:30 »

If I put a piece of wood across the top, I can lean on this with my left hand ... and use t'other one to do whatever I have to.
My hero Geoff Hamilton made a simple structure consisting of a wide plank with ropes on each end so he could use it to walk on the soil without any great impact, plus he could move the plank via the ropes to another place.

xx
Help with filling for my raised bed please!

Started by Becky H on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 15:28
by Missie
xx
Filling raised beds??

Started by moggy on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 09:23
by moggy
xx
Filling in a large hole advice

Started by GazNicki on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2012, 10:37
by smud6ie
xx
need help to design manure filling bag stand

Started by prakash_mib on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 14:14
by aelf

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.