Beetroot

• 14 Replies

wendycas

Beetroot
« on: May 06, 2013, 20:50 »
Hi
Can you tell me please (as each book I look at says something different!) if we should soak beetroot seeds before planting? And if so, how long for?
We got titchy little beetroot last year (although last year was a right off anyway) and we hadn't soaked them so just thought I'd ask before we set to.
Thanks  :happy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 20:52 »
I never bother, just sling them straight in.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

salmonking

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 20:55 »
ive just put mine straight from the packet into the bed!.they are up about an inch at the moment!.wouldn't bother soaking them.

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 21:14 »
I've never soaked them, but I do always start them off in modules - I always get a better result

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 21:44 »
According to some expert's it is preferable to soak the seed in warm water overnight to wash off the chemical inhibiter that coat's the seed. having said that , i just bung em in too.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 00:04 »
I've never heard of soaking beetroot. As others have said stick the seed in not too close together and keep them watered.

I too find it easier to sow in modules then space them out on the plot allowing room for weeding.

Mine are only just up in a cold greenhouse......... weeks and weeks behind this year.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

wendycas

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 00:55 »
Brilliant-thanks for the replies! That's a good job to do tomorrow then!
Cheers :lol:

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:12 »
I didn't soak mine and planted them directly into the ground of my unheated greenhouse at the beginning of march they are a few inches high and have loads of leaves they've hone crazy

ryetek

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20 »
I never soak mine either but do usually start a few off in a module however I agree with Paul's comment:

Mine are only just up in a cold greenhouse......... weeks and weeks behind this year.  :(

I think the direct sown beetroot are going to catch up the module sown beetroot this year if the weather stays good.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 11:44 »
I never soak mine either but do usually start a few off in a module however I agree with Paul's comment:

I think the direct sown beetroot are going to catch up the module sown beetroot this year if the weather stays good.

And I hope to find out sometime soon as, this morning, I am going to sow some direct in our little veg plot out back. (No time for the allotment today).

ryetek

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 12:04 »

And I hope to find out sometime soon as, this morning, I am going to sow some direct in our little veg plot out back. (No time for the allotment today).

I sew some directly on BH Monday so I'm going to find out soon too.

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 12:09 »
According to some expert's it is preferable to soak the seed in warm water overnight to wash off the chemical inhibiter that coat's the seed. having said that , i just bung em in too.

Many plant seeds have chemicals that inhibit germination. That means that all the seeds do not germinate at the same time and the chance of survival is improved.

In the old days farmers growing sugar beet and mangolds used to put the bag of seed in the dike for 24 hours before sowing.

It is likely that, as well as washing out inhibitors, the seed also takes in moisture enough to start off germination. The soil still needs to be moist when they are sown. Watering the bottom of the furrow before drilling helps if the soil is dry.

Probably soaked seeds emerge quicker, which can mean the difference between life and death if there are soil pests like wireworms biting bits off, or it comes wet and a hard cap forms on the soil surface.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 13:16 »
Chemical inhibitor? What chemical inhibitor?  :blink:

Is this a natural substance? I can't see why a plant would produce a seed with a growth inhibitor... or would it?
Now I've read the previous post properly it makes sense... but.........

I have never soaked beetroot seeds unless you count watering them once they are planted either in the ground or in cells / modules.

I think that is one step too far for me. Mine grow reliably and well so I'm sticking with what works for me.

Best of luck to those who soak.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 13:18 by Paul Plots »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 14:55 »
No soaking here either. Just throw them in and water.

wendycas

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 18:21 »
Thanks guys. My Dad is up for an experiment this year-he's going to soak some overnight, some for a few hours and sow the rest without soaking to see if it makes any difference. So, I'll keep you posted...... :wacko:

xx
Beetroot

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 15:05
by MoreWhisky
clip
beetroot

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 22:09
by mdjlucan
xx
Beetroot

Started by victoria_plum on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 12:34
by Kristen
xx
who knows about beetroot?

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2007, 11:42
by Aidy

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 38 queries.