Well that's depressing

• 19 Replies

Manteiga

Re: Well that's depressing
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 22:43 »
This is my second year of having an allotment. Last year was all I have reference to, and I hope it will be better this year. I did have some potatoes and onions, broad beans and peas, but not a single carrot and two parsnips. It only makes me more determined.

seaside

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 12:37 »
Last year the raspberries were brilliant, as were all of the beans, broad, runner and French. Marrows that were harvested as courgettes were good if a little late. Excellent onions, leeks, beetroots and spinach, excellent. Well acceptable sweetcorn. Potatoes a little disappointing, nobbled by blight. Greenhouse chillies and tomatoes were excellent after a blight scare and some good management on my part.
Most brassicas were just about acceptable, but they were a learning curve for me.
Only real failures were smallish PSB, the outdoor tomatoes and chilli experiment, Brussels, carrots and parsnips. The last three were probably down to me, not the weather.. several neighbours did well. I'm hoping for better results this year armed with a bit more knowledge of what's going down. Carrots under cover and off the ground, F1 brussels with a well prepared bed, parsnips to be planted on deep  compost "cones"... here's hoping.
Peas were tried in a very small way and were very, very nice, delicious, hence I'm now trying them properly for the first time... a few teething problems so far concerning guttering, mice and netting, but nothing I can't get over.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54 »
I made raspeberry jam by the bucket load last year and I have requests for more this year. I ran out in January.

Hoping for a raspberry glut this year, can't wait

wendycas

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 18:32 »
Yes, last year really did us all in, didn't it! I think this year will be good-I really do! Last year this time it was wall to wall rain-this year we're pleased to see it-so let's keep everything crossed!! :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 18:35 »
Yes, last year really did us all in, didn't it! I think this year will be good-I really do! Last year this time it was wall to wall rain-this year we're pleased to see it-so let's keep everything crossed!! :D

I feel abit more optimistic today, I think the chest infection maybe on it way out.  :wacko: well I hope so.
Fingers crossed for a bumper year this year. I can't wait to get my jam pans out  :lol:

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 34 queries.