Potato problem

• 9 Replies

mickleuk

Potato problem
« on: June 15, 2009, 21:02 »
Hi All,

I'm new here and new to the world of allotments.

I have some potatoes and the leaves are curling up really tightly. I have found a bit of info on potato leafhopper, but I'm not too sure if it is this, and if so, what to do about it.

Any info would be gratefully accepted, and by the way, it probably won't be the last question I ask  :)

Cheers

Mike

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato problem
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 22:35 »
Welcome to the site Mike, and we like questions  :D

Do you have piccies of the leaves?

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19476.0

Had you applied manure to the area?

I'm not familiar with the leafhopper so can't advise specifically on that I'm afraid
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mickleuk

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 22:44 »
Hi,

I've been scanning through earlier posts and came across one about contaminated manure. The photo of the potato leaves on there were exactly like mine, very curled up. The allotment where I am, had lots of bags of chicken manure dropped off and I dug a lot of it in. I'm sure that's what it is.

How long does it last in the soil?

Feeling a bit cheesed off now  >:(

Cheers

Mike

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 23:13 »
Have a look at the various articles and bits of info here

I am a little surprised at chicken manure being the cause, though - previously it's only been horse or cow manure, as they are more likely to have either eaten or had bedding made from affected grass.

Can you run a check on the soil by growing test beans - see what the leaves do by about the 4th pair of leaves (it takes till then to show itself)?

If it is aminopyralid damage, the quickest way of getting rid of it is to rotavate / dig it, as it breaks down through exposure to something in the soil - don't just leave it stacked up, as that will take a lot longer.

Also remember that not all plants are affected by it, and any produce is said to be eatable - that's then a matter of personal judgement whether  you choose to eat or grow immediately on that land.

mickleuk

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:52 »
The chicken manure contained a lot of straw, which I assume makes some difference. The photo's of the potatoes and beans here,
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/261/contaminated-manure-aminopyralid-update/
are identical to mine. so it looks like I've found the culprit.

The thing is, what do I do now?

steve49a

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09 »
Hi Mike

I would be surprised that chicken manure has residues of weedkiller.  Up to now it has only been associated with horse and cattle manure.  The presence of straw will not make any difference as the chemical is only used on grass. 

http//www.manurematters.co.uk  will provide you with more details

Steve

JWK

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:14 »
The thing is, what do I do now?

I've never heard of chicken manure being contaminated with aminopyralid either, but you could check with glallotments who is the focal point for all these aminoppyralid problems, here is her list of 2009 victims: http://www.glallotments.btik.com/p_Victims_2009.ikml, its worth contacting her in case she knows of any similar cases.
John

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 18:22 »
I would be surprised that chicken manure has residues of weedkiller.  Up to now it has only been associated with horse and cattle manure.  The presence of straw will not make any difference as the chemical is only used on grass. 

Although conceivably the presence of straw will make a difference if the grass was treated with herbicide before becoming straw ?

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 19:16 »

Although conceivably the presence of straw will make a difference if the grass was treated with herbicide before becoming straw ?

Straw is the dried stalks and leaves of cereals ( wheat, oats or barley)

Hay is dried grass

It seems the herbicide has been used on grass not on cereal crops
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 19:26 »
Well  there you go, you learn something every day  :D

Thanks celjaci

xx
Problem potato

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 14:59
by richyrich7
xx
Potato problem

Started by matt.k on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 14:35
by barbarella
question
Potato problem....

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 20:45
by Mitsy
xx
Potato problem

Started by jeancrosbie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 17:04
by jeancrosbie

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 39 queries.