sweet peppers

• 8 Replies

LILLILEAF

sweet peppers
« on: July 06, 2018, 12:23 »
I have ox horn peppers in the green house,is any one else having trouble?,they are so slow to get going i put the seeds in back in feb it looks like i may get 3 peppers, they do have flowers on them now,i don't think i will bother with them unless there is a better type of sweet pepper any idea's.

Goosegirl

Re: sweet peppers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:33 »
It seems everything is either not germinating or very slow to do so, only a few managing to get going, a lot smaller than they should be, or flowers but no pods etc as yet. Just stick it out and see what happens when the weather changes.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 17:16 »
Obviously none are ripe yet, but mine look to be doing better than the tomatoes this year. So no complaints from me  ;)
They always do take a long while to get going though and it is only just July, they've got a lot of growing to do yet.

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 17:28 »
Probably not what you want to hear but mine is doing fine too. I've already taken 3 green peppers from one plant with quite a few more forming plus flowers. Hebar is also doing well (it's normally a good performer for me), if you want an alternative green pepper for next year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 13:52 »
The sweet peppers here are a shade behind the chillies even though they were planted at the same time, but they are setting fruit and looking well. They are Marconi Long Red and King Seeds Mixed Sweet Peppers, one of which is obviously purple
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 08:47 »
My peppers, both chilli and sweet are doing better than my greenhouse tomatoes this year.  In particular Palivec and Sheepnose are doing well.
Tomatoes are behaving oddly - a few have grown blind.
My cucumbers are very disappointing.  The polytunnel one has barely grown with the fruits withering at the inch long stage.  Greenhouse one is slightly better, but still not eaten one yet!
Melons are covered in flowers but no fruit!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 11:30 »
Perhaps there are not enough insects about to pollinate your melon flowers, in which case you could try hand-pollinating.

Some of my all-female Diva cucumbers have gone yellow at the 1" stage too, although I expect to be picking the first few in the next day or so.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 11:52 »
Tomatoes are behaving oddly - a few have grown blind.
I'd suspect the weather - tomatoes really don't like it too hot.
Ideal Temperatures for Growing Tomatoes
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 12:17 »
My Mila's Bulgarian sweet peppers are doing really well, some are very nearly ripe.

Cucumbers -I grew 2 of each (to allow for casualties - but there were none this year  :) )  Mini Munch and Socrates, and have been overrun with cukes giving them away to the neighbours every few days.
They are growing in supermarket flower buckets with the bottoms cut off, half sunk in the border.

Melons were treated in the same way, and fingers crossed it looks as if a few have set.

I have a lot of fruit on my toms but it's one of those years when they don't want to ripen  ::)

xx
Sweet peppers

Started by mrsbean on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2020, 09:00
by mumofstig
xx
sweet bell peppers

Started by like diggingk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 18:00
by like diggingk
xx
Ripening sweet peppers

Started by safetrade on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 02:15
by shokkyy
xx
Peppers without pep!

Started by chiller on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 06:45
by cadalot

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 40 queries.