Positioning greenhouse

• 4 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Positioning greenhouse
« on: January 28, 2013, 13:28 »
I'm looking for any advice on positioning our 6x4 greenhouse in our garden.  I've tried to sketch the basic layout of the garden, and shown the 2 positions we are considering, p1 or p2.  P1 is preferable as far as my other half is concerned, but I wondered if there any factors we should consider before deciding.  The sketch is not terribly accurate but shows rough positions of various things in our garden that are fixed like the shed a tree or two, and trees in the neighbours gardens that affect the sunlight too.

The garden is about 40m long and 8m wide, southish facing (sketch shows rough path of the un too).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Positioning greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 13:43 »
I don't know how much shade the trees cast over your garden, I have roughly the same situation and have my greenhouses on the P2 side of your plan, and gives most sunlight here, especially through winter when the sun is lower in the sky.
It is possible that P1 would get more sun because it's further from the trees in the afternoon, although it would get none in the morning because of the hedges.

Sorry, but only you know where the shadows fall.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 13:49 »
most people would put the long side to face the south - ie to catch most sun as you can shade or vent against too much sun but cannot do anything if too little sun reaches gh. Obviously you need to be out of shadow as well. Assuming you will grow in most of your greenhouse "ground" you would have to put your gh to far left of your picture with long axis pointing top to bottom. That does not look to be practicable if you are looking at p1 or p2.. If you are using benches and propagators or grow lights then not so important. If it was me and if your sketch is accurate then P2 gets the earliest sunlight as it can face east without shadow so be sure you can keep heat in by closing doors early However it soons gets shadow from shed so less time in sun. If you go for p1 then it only gets sun later as sun in shadow in east and clear in south and west so need if possible to orient greenhouse to face sun as much as possible by turning a bit across corner and keep glass very clean and unobstructed so warms up immediately sun reaches it.Life is never easy.
Getting power to it and catching water off it as well as cleaning all round and safety if near paths or play areas are also factors . Keep door to sheltered side if you have strong winds and think about any louvres or windows.
R

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 14:11 »
P1 looks as if it has more protection from prevailing winds (SW to NW) although the whole garden appears to have quite a bit of shelter. As Mum said, only you know exactly where the light falls throughout the year - best to go for the best all-round average (a bit of respite from direct sun is no bad thing in summer, especially with a small greenhouse and if there is no-one around to open doors/window if required.)

Not sure orientation is that important with a 6X4, although having the door facing prevailing winds is not a good idea!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 14:38 »
Thanks for your tips everyone.  Definitely some things there I hadn't thought about such as wind and direction of the door etc.  will have to look into those.  P1 does make it less of an eyesore in the garden which is why my wife prefers it there.  I think that or she will ultimately win that option, but will consider the door position etc.

xx
Lean To Positioning direction

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 10:49
by hubballi
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Snap Dragon on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 07:09
by naturesparadise
xx
new old greenhouse..

Started by RoynLisa on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 14:53
by muntjac
xx
6x4 greenhouse

Started by Spana on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 17:49
by izzy

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 40 queries.