Chicken sitters

• 11 Replies

Evansent

• Experienced Member
Chicken sitters
« on: January 17, 2011, 18:15 »
Does anyone know of any business that Chicken sits for you whilst on holiday (West Kent )? My Mum usually looks after them...but she is coming with us this year... so no sitter - Doh didn't think of that!!!

thanks
c x
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicken sitters
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 18:20 »
try neighbours in exchange for eggs - works for most people  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 18:29 »
Hi Evansent, is this a live in or live out position?  And whereabouts in West Kent, not address, just nearby town.  I come from Kent, so will see what I can come up with!  Also what month??

But there aren't many people who do this at the moment.

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 19:07 »
I had a problem finding anyone round here that would do it.  Because they get up so early it's difficult.  Have a step-son who would be here, but pointless asking a teenager that doesn't know what morning is to do it, so now they are going lock stock and henhouse to my oldest son's garden for the week.  :blink: 

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 20:53 »
Thanks for the replies.  Should have said..Mum is also my neighbour!!  ::)

I am near Sevenoaks.  would rather someone could just pop over to let them out/in and water and feed.

I am going to ask my aunt, but failing that i'm a bit stuck!! So any suggestions welcome.

thanks
c x

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 21:18 »
Oh that's a shame, I don't know anyone in Sevenoaks!  If it was nearer to my daughter, it would have been a good excuse to go stay with her for a bit!!! lol

Chrysalis

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 21:33 »
I agree with Joyfull,

My neighbours can't wait to hensit. try asking at the local co op (coop?!) or newsagent or allotment....

Good luck in your search.  Just do the normal CRB checks Chicken Rearing Baccalaureate, after all, you can't have just anyone looking after your girls.

orchardlady

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 22:27 »
Ring your local school both primary and senior. They might have a board for adverts that the upper years are encouraged to look at. Universities certainly do for on campus work in coffee bars etc. It all looks good on a CV and the kids are encouraged to get any kind of holiday work plus a bit of money in the back pocket is always welcome. Failing that accost neighbours teenage children. Their parents will love you for getting their children up in the morning. I just love having an excuse to bellow up the stairs first thing on a holiday morning. The day can then 'get started' rather than me hanging around like a spare part waiting to be told what's happening with the day once they are up.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 22:37 »
How about checking your local pet shops or feed merchants- they may have adverts for pet sitters, we have people in our area who will feed and walk pets, also turn lights on etc. but that would have to be someone you could trust of course

RichardA

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 23:36 »
We have six ducks in a semi-urban setting, we have excelelnt neighbours and they never stop saying if we "ever go away and need someone to look after the ducks just ask". Dont be afraid to ask for help, it is rarely ever refused and you could make some good friends.
Retired gentlemen and mums at home in the day and small kids to amuse are often good targets. Working mums have less time but are so well organised they can cope with a little extra for a few days.
R

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 19:16 »
How about checking your local pet shops or feed merchants- they may have adverts for pet sitters, we have people in our area who will feed and walk pets, also turn lights on etc. but that would have to be someone you could trust of course

Ask at the local pet shop would be my best guess too. They will know more pet friendly people than most. :)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 22:34 »
Some vets have boards in their waiting rooms for "homes wanted" type cards - would that be worth a try?  Also, I guess vets would know the reliable, animal mad youngsters in their area.
ManicMum

xx
For the chicken who has everything......

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2015, 16:30
by nerdle
xx
Will I be able to eat chicken again??

Started by Mrs.Apron on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 10:39
by the Kergan
xx
For the chicken that has everything

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 09:24
by Springlands
xx
Chicken Pot

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

29 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 05:00
by min200

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 30 queries.