Rotting Hay

• 5 Replies

Solitaire

Rotting Hay
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:40 »
I have a huge pile of rotting hay in the horses field, it's where they have trod it into the mud and I have moved it out ot the way as they won't eat it.

Some of it isn't quiet rotted down, at that slimey stage, would it be all right to dig into the veg beds or should I leave it until it's better rotted down ??

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Rotting Hay
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 19:26 »
I would wait until it's properly rotted.  If it decomposes in the soil, it will take nitrogen from the soil - which is then not available for plants at that time.

Just to check - the hay / grass wasn't treated with any form of herbicide, was it?  Otherwise you run the risk of the aminopyralid problem.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 19:33 »
I guess you know this but the mould that comes off hay is hazardous to human health though if in open air less of a  risk than in barns and stables but I would suggest you handle it when wet. In my opinion best to mix with other material in a compost heap so seeds etc rot down and use next year.
R

Solitaire

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:18 »
It probably was treated with something as they do spray over here, I'll leave it until next year when it's completely rotted down

glallotments

• Our plot at Green Lane Allotments
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 17:54 »
Soltaire,
If the hay was treated with certain herbicides leaving it for a year may not be good enough to ensure it is safe.
Visit our blog

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 19:08 »
Soltaire,
If the hay was treated with certain herbicides leaving it for a year may not be good enough to ensure it is safe.
Pyralid is broken dow n by SOIL living bacteria, so just because it's rotted down nicely is no guarantee whatsoever that the pyralid (if it has any) will be broken down.
The manure I got last year was lovely well rotted stuff, but still nearly killed my spuds!
That's not to say it's completely useless though. Once it's rotted down you can dig/fork it into the ground for the bacteria to break down the pyralid, and after a few months it will be safe even for plants to grow. If you can't wait til it's gone, you can grow alliums and sweet corn and other grains/grasses as they are unaffected by it, but they may take up the residue, so that any waste (stalks etc.) added to the compost heap may prolong the problem.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Rotting Swedes!

Started by Degs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 20:10
by Degs
xx
Apples rotting

Started by jhub on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 08:56
by Alastair-I
xx
Rotting cucumbers

Started by Skimbleshanks on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 21:05
by Skimbleshanks
xx
Rotting Tomatoes

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2019, 10:24
by Dr_Pepper

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.