Get the Hot Water and Towels at the Ready!

• 16 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Get the Hot Water and Towels at the Ready!
« on: June 04, 2013, 20:57 »
I've just been out to water various veggies that are still here with me and not at plot.  My cuke plants have had lots of flowers forming for a while now but the sun of the last few days, and me being brave and finally putting them out during day, has done them the world of good.  Anyway, I waffle with excitement....... There is a male flower and a female flower both about to open! I shall be tickling them with a cotton bud when they do (tomorrow, I reckon).  Does this mean I will get at least 1 cucumber?  I should blooming well hope so.  My nerves are in flitters babying these plants along  ::) :wacko: 

allot2learn

Re: Get the Hot Water and Towels at the Ready!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 21:03 »
I leave mine to get on with it. Most plants have got here today without help apart from F1 vers.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 21:06 »
I'm not sure I'll be able to resist 'doing' at least one.  Can't I pretend I'm going to mark that one to save the seed from?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 21:52 »
I'm not sure I'll be able to resist 'doing' at least one.  Can't I pretend I'm going to mark that one to save the seed from?
Excellent idea!  ;) :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 22:48 »
I think I might even be able to find a feather in my craft box to tie to a pea stick for tickling  ;) :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 23:53 »
I leave the insects to pollinate the veg. They do it so wonderfully  :D  I harvested three mini cues yesterday from My Cucino's and cornichon  :tongue2:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 00:04 »
Ah I'm not jealous, not one little bit, I mean, its not like I've loved them, sung to them, told them they are pretty, even KISSED their fuzzywuzzy leaves, to the amusement of my neighbours and the horror of my son and OH.......Seriously, well done you for getting something so early after a very cold spring  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 00:08 »
I look after them and I do ask them to fruit for me.  I have fleeced the cues overnight in the greenhouse while the weather was cold, and it's paid off.  Outdoor cues are much easier to grow I reckon but I've not done any this year, yet  :)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 00:31 »
I've done miniature whites this year. First year of growing cuke's. Apparently good for indoor and protected outdoor.  I've kept them in and maybe let them out on the odd sunny day, windy days put me off getting them out. But they've really started to grow and send out tendrils in the last few days, which thankfully coincided with the warm spell.  Wouldn't be fair to keep them in now - I have to let them go.  I just so want to be able to cut a homegrown cuke for my son who loves them and a bit for me and guinea pigs too!  Still running into the porch with them at night though x

ps. Were they delicious and worth the effort?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 00:50 by maxibo »

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:20 »
I've not done white cues, only the bog standard green outdoor varieties. They are crisp and tasty though. They will need support!  They will want to climb so give them something to climb up as they will get into a right tangle.  Moving them about won't be possible once they get going and they will require a permanent home til the end of the season when they're spent and get grubbed out and composted. 

I grew mine up a trellis rigged up to the side of my shed on the least windy side of the plot. It was sunny though  :)

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 15:09 »
Wow, what an overdoting mama you are, maxibo  :lol:

Hate to tell you but peas are self-fertile.

Totty

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 18:35 »
Cucumbers must be my favourite plants to grow, and this year I couldn't be happier. I let the fruit off the main stem and pinch the side shoots off. I find they tend to get everywhere and need more support. Have started putting a pile of nearly rotted straws muck under each plant and wetting it twice a day, it creates loads of humidity and it seems to be working!
image.jpg

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 20:48 »
Wow, what an overdoting mama you are, maxibo  :lol:

Hate to tell you but peas are self-fertile.

Peas?  :blink: But yes, ALL my veggies get the same attention.  And my child, step children, pets and OH (in that order) of course.

Fab pic Totty!.  What variety are they?  I've got three cuke plants about that size.  With two more just getting there true leaves now as standby's.  Its only me and my son (+ 2 guinea pigs) who like cukes so I'm hoping that will be plenty for just the two of us.  Any extras will be a bonus.  The flowers are all starting to open, it's very exciting!  I especially like how you can see all the tiny little fruit behind the female flowers  Lovely  :)

Totty

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 21:34 »
That plant is "Carmen", as it was a week or so ago, and there are 6 of em. Also have "long John an Cucino. The fruits are quite long on these plants (except Cucino) so I've been taking the fruits off so they don't rest on the soil. I want to get them to about 5 ft then train them horizontal so the cukes hang down from above, so have been trying to race them up the canes by pinching out all shoots and fruits. Gonna start letting them set next week I reckon.

Totty

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 21:51 »
Oooh I just had a google of 'cucino'.  They sound good for us as they are tiny like the miniature whites should be.  May give them a go next year.  I hope I'm doing the right thing with my cuke's?  I was under the impression that the miniature whites could be grown in pots?  Mine are in big pots planted on a mound and seem to be doing ok.  I've got them supported at the moment by a flower support tower thingummybob in each pot (I got them for 79p in homebargains) which seem to be doing the job.  They are outside against a sunny wall and I will be able to rig up some sort of support for them when/if necessary.  I haven't touched them with regard to pinching them out.  I'm too afraid of killing them!  They are full of both male and female flowers.  I've given them FBB this week, should I give them something else?  You sound like you know what you are doing so any advice will be appreciated!

xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
WATER shortage - tips for saving / harvesting water please

Started by Cr78 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:52
by mumofstig
xx
keeping water in water butts

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:25
by Ivor Backache
xx
Water butt water, is it ok for a greenhouse

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 21:02
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 32 queries.