bees on allotments

• 7 Replies

audrey padmore

bees on allotments
« on: September 14, 2011, 14:10 »
Hi everyone dont know if this is the right page , but I saw on the news that bee conservationists were looking for places to put hives as the bees are declining due to loss of habitat I was wondering if I could put bees on my allotment (perhaps just one hive ) is there any rules that prohobit this ? thanks  audrey
cowheellou02

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
Re: bees on allotments
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 15:30 »
not sure how much of this true but a guy on some neighbouring allotments wanted to keep bees on his plot but was told it was fine as long as he got prmission off every other plot holder and all the householders bordering the allotments of which there were many.......suffice to say he didnt bother.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 16:17 »
Have a look at your agreement and see if there any rules about keeping them, our site doesn't allow chickens or bees and no-one has bothered to challenge them about that ::)

Here's some advice from the NSALG
http://www.nsalg.org.uk/uploads/article459/Bees.pdf

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 18:19 »
Our allotments do permit them, but subject to strict conditions which include provable experience or training, membership of BBKA or similar (mainly for insurance purposes), creation of a proper barrier to stop them flying at head height, and a couple of others which escape me temporarily.

In fact, I was stung by a bee from one of our hives because the owner was away; he'd left competent people in charge but they'd run out of smokers so were dealing with them without calming them first.  It was fine for them, in their suits, but not for me.  Luckily I don't have an allergy, and they were on hand to remove the sting itself from underneath my glasses / eye, but it could have been far worse.

There will also be numbers restrictions because the allotment site will only support so many bees / hives - don't want them having to forage too far.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 18:21 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 20:04 »
Ours also allow them but subbject to the restrictions Yorkie has mentioned, which are essentials really imho  :)

There are three or four hives but all are in out of the way areas, behind some high mounds of soil. This gives protection from nosey 'visitors' (read vandals) who don't spot them and also allows an 'above head height' flight line for the bees at the same time  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 20:38 »
All that kind of stuff is mentioned in the NSALG pdf link I gave  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 21:43 »
I thought I'd mention the vandals too, as on our site it can be a problem with sheds etc and so being able to keep hives somewhere unobtrusive is an advantage  :)

kerry-n-rob

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 15:00 »
bees weren't mentioned on our allotment agreement so we approached the parish council who brought it to the parish council meeting and 'due to the decline in the bee population' they backed us with it, and they wrote to all the local residents and other allotment holders asking if anyone had any objections, there were none so they granted us permission.

after we had got our bees one of the neighbours suddenly decided their dog was allergic to bee stings so 'respectufully requested' via the parish council to move the hive, we 'respectfully declined' due to the detrimental effect it would have on the colony and we have been backed by the parish council on this too.

well worth asking IMO

if you do want to keep bees I would recommend seeking advice and training from the local beekeepers association,  if you become part of the local BKA and BBKA then you'll get indemnity insurance which is reassuring for others in case things do go awry.

good luck x

xx
i want to get some bees

Started by joshbuchan on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 20:34
by joshbuchan
xx
Bees

Started by wilbzfishing on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 17:49
by sunshineband
xx
Bees

Started by wolverine on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 22:00
by jimbeekeeper
xx
New bees

Started by ManicMum on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:04
by darren64

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 36 queries.