cruel neighbour

• 22 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
cruel neighbour
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:59 »
i'm sorry for the long post but i needed to vent....

as some of you may know, we've been having job problem,s in our house so money is very, very tight.

anyway, the fence around our property needs to be re-done. currently we have green wire fencing. the house next door is council owned but  they are only willing to put up a 3 and half foot wooden/wire picket fence (flimsy and unacceptable) even though someone jumped that side and stole 6 rare breed chickens last year. the garden is over 90 feet long so it will be expensive regardless of how we do it.

so oh and i decided to fence off a little at a time. we did the back and then 12 panels (6 on each side) and have been scrimping to do another 10 panels. on friday our dog chased a fox through a small hole and ended up next door. i blocked off the entry/exit point and hubby said he'd try to fix it.

on monday the dog found another fox hole and chased a youngster through. i blocked off as best i could (old metal headboard) so that hubby could patch up when he got home and then went and ordered a couple of panels we could afford for the time being.

when i got home from work yesterday and went to check on my chooks, the neighbour had put a board up on his side BUT he had also thrown broken glass beer bottles through the gap in a deliberate attempt to harm my dog if he tried to go through again.

i'm so angry. he's in his 30's, disabled and has some mental issues but even he has dogs and so should theoretically understand the harm he could cause. i know i should have called the police or reported to the rspca but he is very petty and i just know he'd then call up and complain about my roosters.

i'm just having a rant really. i can't believe i live next door to such a freak. he used to harass me knocking on my door at 3am and asking if i wanted to borrow his dvds, hanging about his garden whenever i went out there, holding parcels left for me when i went out and with sexual inuendos before he saw the size of my husband and now avoids us.

i just can't believe someone could sink that low. there are so many mean things going through my head but I would never sink that low.

p.s please don't post lists of horrid things as payback...i don't want to upset the mods. thanks.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

stompy

Re: cruel neighbour
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:18 »
Hi,

Im sad to hear about your problem neighbour Shetan

We have problem neighbours too, they argue into the early hours shouting and swearing at eachother and their young children so loud that we can hear them through the wall.

They have partys every week with their inbred familly and we end up with half eaten sandwitches and all sorts or other rubbish in our garden the next day.

We own our property but next doors is rented out and we have had 3 bad famillys in there, we report every incident to the police take video's and photo's of our garden and their garden to show what they're doing and eventually they get moved on.

We were told to log every incident with the police, they then build up a file and when enough disturbance/disruption has been logged they bring the case against them and they are moved.

Hopefully one day we will get a decent familly next door who have morrals and values that match most others.
We have our next door but 1 logging incidents too as they suffer the same.

Just keep your chin up Shetan and log every incident with the police and you will be able to get this person moved.

Andy

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:05 »
If the property next door is Council owned you can log your complaints with the Council.  They are in breach of their Tenancy agreement with the Council if they cause any kind of a nuisance and can be evicted for it.  Do as Stompy says with the log and Police reports but also report it to your Council in writing.  You should also have a free advice center for housing issues which is not just for Tennants but for Landlords and neighbours.  Solicitors also do a free half hour consultation so they should be able to give you some advice, choose one which knows Tenancy Laws.

Good luck.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 17:54 »
sorry i should have been more clear. the house adjoining ours is council but a sweet old lady lives there. council leave her gate unlocked because she is 90% disabled and can't get to the door when the gardener comes. this made it easy for whoever pinched me chooks to watch the house and then use the opportunity. they did it the day i went to pick up my husband from the airport and the dog wasn't there.

the problem neighbour is on the other side and owns the property. he's been cautioned by the police for a number of different things - drunk and disorderly, baitingt his dogs to jump and cry and also to go for other dogs to name a few. he's just really petty and can't stand the fact that i have my husband living with me....before he could harass me to his heart's content, now he sees my hubby and retreats.

this is going to sound really really horrible and i am sorry to say this but  when his dogs would jump over into mine or terrorise the chooks i used to wish they would die...now i find myself wishing it was him instead.....its a horrible thing to say but i really can't help how i feel.....

although he's in his late 30's so i'll be waiting a long time for that.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 19:29 »
I'm sure he can still be reported to the council.  We live on a mixed estate and have had over the years some, shall we say, unpleasant characters living here.  Dogs barking are the problem at the moment and the owners, not all in council properties, have been reported to the council.

It's worth a try shetan ;)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:18 »
yes you can report them to the council anti social behaviour unit (ASBU) the number for leicester city council asbu is 0116 2293620 mon-fri 9am-5pm.
or crime incidents to police 0116 222 2222.
you shouldnt have to live like that shetan xx goodluck

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:32 »
Unfortunately, whilst his actions can be seen by anyone that is rationally minded as cruel, stupid or careless, if he is mentally impaired then he won't.

In his mind he may not put two and two together that putting broken glass in your garden will harm your dog, and even if he does understand that his brain may not rationalise this as a cruel thing to do.

It's a sad fact that if he's able to look after himself to a reasonable degree that the 'big society' is now expected to take care of him and to put up with this kind of thing.

I know it's not easy if money is tight but perservere with the fencing, clean up the glass and report every incident.  With enough information about both of your neighbours the police and council do have the power to move them on, and even homeowners can be excluded from their properties in extreme cases.

Hope you get it sorted out soon :(

stompy

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08 »
In his mind he may not put two and two together that putting broken glass in your garden will harm your dog, and even if he does understand that his brain may not rationalise this as a cruel thing to do.

Just because he has a mental illness it doesn't mean he's stupid, people with an illness can be just as calculating as someone without and also understand what they are upto!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 08:36 »
True but SnooziSuzi did say may not, some people have no ability to understand about their actions and consequences. As none of us know what mental issues this person may or may not have I would go with reporting and then keeping a log of all actions.
Staffies are softer than you think.

stompy

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 11:14 »
True but SnooziSuzi did say may not, some people have no ability to understand about their actions and consequences. As none of us know what mental issues this person may or may not have I would go with reporting and then keeping a log of all actions.

I wasn't saying she did, all i was saying was this person may well know what they are upto dependant on their illness that was all.

I know some one with a mental illness, i knew them very well, and found he used it to his advantage sometimes to get what he wanted conciousely frightening his familly members.

It's not a nice experience so i can relate to shetan's predicament.

And as i said in an earlier post myself, to keep a log and inform the police of all incidents to build up a log.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:15 by stompy »

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 12:37 »

Just because he has a mental illness it doesn't mean he's stupid, people with an illness can be just as calculating as someone without and also understand what they are upto!

Whoa!  at what point did I indicate that I thought he was stupid!?

I agree that sometimes people play on all sorts of conditions in order to manipulate other people, my point was simply that without knowing anything about his condition the only person that knows whether he is aware of what he is doing is himself!  ???

stompy

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 12:55 »
Whoa!  at what point did I indicate that I thought he was stupid!?

You never, but i never said you did  ???

I never said at any point that i thought you thought or even indicated that this person was stupid.

I was giving my opinion on the subject, i was commenting giving my own thoughts that just because some one is mentally ill doesn't mean they are stupid, i never said you said that.
I was just stating my view that he may be aware of his actions as you stated that he may not.

I quoted you because rather than writing something simmilar myself to then indicate my thoughts was unnecessary.

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 13:50 »
Fix the fence and keep your dog out of his garden seems to be the answer.
If you know the neighbour one side to be a problem you should fence that side first.

stompy

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 13:54 »
Can you not purchase some cheap netting debris or something like just to create a barrier to stop the dog until you can afford to fence it?

evie2

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 17:52 »
I know what you mean about cost shetan, our gardens about the same length and we have the green mesh and bushes.  Have you had a look at free cycle for your area?  Personally I've not used it but I know others have, also how about recycling good old pallets into fencing.  I know a it won't look fantastic but it's a start :D

xx
Alpacas..nature can be sooo cruel..

Started by Lost in France on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 08:39
by corndolly
xx
Asking a neighbour to control their dogs?

Started by DanielCoffey on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post January 16, 2023, 14:11
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.