Asking a neighbour to control their dogs?

• 8 Replies

DanielCoffey

Asking a neighbour to control their dogs?
« on: January 15, 2023, 16:09 »
I need a bit of guidance on how to approach a neighbour or where to go to get official advice concerning our new neighbour's problem dogs please.

We are in a rural area where most properties tend to be reasonably large and there is a good incidence of dog ownership. Almost all folks here are long-term dog owners and walk or exercise them responsibly. Fencing tends to be for privacy from humans and cattle rather than for excluding small animals. We have standard 4" horse fencing around all sides of our 0.5 Acre property and it is open to the communal private lane like all other dwellings bar one.

Next to us used to be a 2.7 Acre vacant plot which was developed recently to a 4-bed bungalow right next to ours and a large, long thin wooded garden following the line of the lane. The communal fence between us is a normal horse fence as there were no dogs there when it was built.

The new owner of the property used to live in a large farm and brought her slightly elderly short-legged lab bitch who is very territorial and clearly used to a larger property. While not aggressive, she has a loud, assertive and persistent bark and is on a hair trigger for anyone walking their dogs or horses past the property on the right of way as well as at me when I use my own garden which is in full view. A short while ago she also bought a pair of dachsund puppies for her kids and they too are untrained and excessively noisy.

The dachsunds have taken to limbo-dancing under the horse fence and treating my garden as though it is part of theirs and the lab bitch can squeeze through a few low dips under the fence and accompany them. All three dogs routinely use my property as an extension of their unsupervised latrine area and have been going in my raised beds, on my decking and on my gravel driveway. They are not being encouraged to do this by the owner - they are just totally unsupervised.

The dachsunds have now taken to barking at me through my patio windows which reach down to the floor when they see me inside. If I go outside and confront them, they retreat, barking furiously and normally head back to their own garden so they know they are not supposed to be over here.

I have not yet spoken to the new owner about this issue as she is rarely outside at her property. The dogs are not taken on walks for latrine purposes at all and I rarely see them with the owner. They are off the leash at all times when not indoors, have no collars and left alone most of the day.

I am wondering if I am allowed to ask the owner that if the dogs are outdoors unsupervised that she confine them to her own property. This is in Scotland if the rules of dog ownership vary around the country.

What are your thoughts on this situation?

LILLILEAF

Re: Asking a neighbour to control their dogs?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 16:37 »
Hi
I have been in this situation with my neighbours they have since moved!! and so have we.
But what i would do is talk to the council first, they will probably ask for proof?, make notes and dates of when there dogs poop etc on your garden.
This is not a nice thing to be happening it can cause a lot of stress i know very well about this.
I really would not approach the owner they can get very nasty, then police get involved etc.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 20:20 »
How about setting up 1 of those sonic scarer things along your boundary to prevent the dogs coming through. Otherwise I would take lots of photos & videos as the more evidence you have the better in these situations. The other thing you could maybe do is set up the hosepipe & squirt it at the dog as it comes through or have a klaxon or something to sound every time they come through or start barking, it might bring their noise & exploits to your neighbours attention.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 22:37 »
How horrible for you.

I think it's always best to try to resolve these issues informally first, if you feel able to. Get your evidence (photos / videos on your phone?) and talk to the neighbour if you can.

If that doesn't work, or you don't want to try that for whatever reason, then I think your council's environmental health department would be your best port of call:
https://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/environmental-health
https://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/article/37539/You-your-dog-and-the-law
https://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/article/37607/What-is-it
https://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/article/37540/Dos-and-don-ts

Your house insurance may have legal protection, which may be able to advise you too.

Good luck.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 22:40 »
I'd pop a note through the door asking if they have time to talk to you. For all you know, they don't realise their dogs are going on your property and more than likely would like to help find a solution to stop them doing so. Going to the local authority should only be an option when communication has completely broken down.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 07:18 »
I agree that record keeping is a good first step because the first question I would be asked by anyone in authority is how often it is happening. There is a huge difference between "twice today and she barked through my window two hours ago" and " well, about a month ago was the last time I caught her".

I wish the new neighbour actually took an interest in her own dowgs. She doesn't walk them at all - they just get turfed out of the house a couple of times a day for a couple of hours to do their business and it is never picked up regardless of whose garden it is in. I think that is the problem with the properties being so large - hers in particular has a very large rural garden.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 13:02 »
Can you improve the fence to prevent the dogs from entering your garden ?

DanielCoffey

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 13:15 »
I could... but dachsunds are pretty good at limboing under anything. It also comes down to who pays. While I want to exclude the dogs, I would consider that she has an obligation as the owner of the dogs to be responsible for them. We would be looking at about fifty meters of post-and-wire fence that needs strimmer access on both sides.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 14:11 »
I would consider that she has an obligation as the owner of the dogs to be responsible for them.

After what you’ve told us about her, I have a feeling that Hell might freeze over first.  Do let us know how you get on with it.  Some dog owners consider it there right for there animals to do as they please… no social conscience  :mad:

xx
cruel neighbour

Started by shetan on Pets without Feathers

22 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 19:04
by Yorkie
xx
Fostering dogs

Started by twissle on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 16:08
by twissle
xx
My dogs had a stroke

Started by kitkat on Pets without Feathers

30 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 21:39
by davethespread
xx
Dogs and Strokes

Started by Dilly Dom on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post August 23, 2014, 17:25
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 48 queries.