New girls

• 6 Replies

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
New girls
« on: September 20, 2013, 13:41 »
After months of searching for some new silkie POL bantams I have finally found a breeder near(ish) by and am due to collect 2 new girls tomorrow! The breeder also has an abundance of cockerels so am also contemplating taking one off her hands as a treat(?) for all the girls.  :D

What is it with chicken shopping that you can't resist slipping an extra doodle in your shopping basket?!  :nowink:

splash101

Re: New girls
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 16:45 »
 :D

I'm still waiting for 2 of mine to start laying  :mad: they are 28 weeks old now. The other one started laying at 22 weeks.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 17:26 »
A delightful moment for you :)
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 13:17 »
How are your new girls (and possibly boy) settling in?

:D

I'm still waiting for 2 of mine to start laying  :mad: they are 28 weeks old now. The other one started laying at 22 weeks.

One of the Welsummer bantams that I bred myself was nearly a year old when it first layed!   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 14:02 »
I ended up with 3 white girls in the end (any "spare" cockerels had already gone in the freezer  :unsure:)

I forgot how cute they are at 16-17 weeks and they really are still quite chick-like! As they are all quite a bit smaller than my three old broilers I am keeping them separate in their own coop and run for a couple of weeks until they get a bit bigger and also a bit bolder as they are very timid at the moment.  I can also keep a better eye on them to make sure they are eating and drinking (although no problems on that front so far!!)

They all sit in a pile in their temporary coop looking like prom princesses in their huge frilly dresses, peering out at what is happening! I'll try and post a photo of them while they are still white! They have seen the other hens through the fencing and when out of the coop have been copying them pecking around on the grass as this is the first time they have seen it.   

Aaaah - it quite brings out the Mother Hen in me!   :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 15:30 »
Looking forward to the photos.  If they are not laying yet you will be best to feed them growers pellets for as long as possible.   :)

splash101

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 18:25 »
Doesnt look like my other two are in a hurry to start laying either, which i dont mind.

xx
Which new girls?

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 23:37
by nerdle
xx
My girls

Started by SoniaBA on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 11:43
by ANHBUC
clip
two girls and a boy maybe?

Started by Jo57 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 21:05
by ANHBUC
xx
My new girls

Started by Teapot on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 20:45
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 38 queries.