what definitely wont grow in the greenhouse?

• 5 Replies

Mbmyco2

what definitely wont grow in the greenhouse?
« on: May 12, 2020, 18:31 »
so  what things cant you grow in a greenhouse?
Full on Gardening Geek!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: what definitely wont grow in the greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 21:35 »
Members of the brassica family don't like the heat of the greenhouse (i.e. cabbages, sprouts, broccoli, cauli etc).

Quite a lot of plants don't need to be in the greenhouse once they have germinated (e.g. broad beans) or once the risk of frost has passed (e.g. climbing beans).

Some other plants will grow best in there e.g. some varieties of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, chillis, aubergine etc.

What are you hoping to grow, and what size GH do you have?  It's usually a case of having to prioritise what you can fit in.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mbmyco2

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 00:48 »
I have access to over 1/2 acre as i live on a horticultural farm that was used for growing hydroponic strawberries. we have strawberries ,toms,cues,peppers, aub , chillies  and herbs  just wanting to know what to try

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 07:40 »
French beans (dwarf or climbing) can be grown in polytunnels (pollination isn't an issue as they don't need insects to pollinate them.)

Forum member Goosegirl (and probably others) successfully grow sweetcorn too, although each plant will need regular 'tapping' when the male tassels start to shed their pollen to ensure pollination of the silks below.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mbmyco2

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 07:48 »
thanks JayG we have put some in to see if they work and thought they would need a nudge when passing

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 08:55 »
You can plant lots of brassicas, Oriental cabbages and salads later in the year for winter greens.
Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom has a lot of advice for winter salad growing, if you can beg or borrow a copy, it really is worth a read  ;)

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 46 queries.