Coco bianco beans

• 5 Replies

jambop

Coco bianco beans
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:09 »
So I bought some seed from premier seeds to grow as something a bit different a  shelling bean that can also allegedly be eaten mangetout when young. The beans appealed as the were described as being dwarf and expected height was about 45cm perfect says I . After they started away I thought a frame may be in order... seven feet high and rising  :lol: All the same the are growing well! :D  In front of those are my first batch of Blue de Solaise which are ready for lifting ... earliest ever for me but grown from transplants bought at the local market first picture when they were bought
DSCN4032.JPG
DSCN4073.JPG
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:49 by jambop »

Mr Dog

Re: Coco bianco beans
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 12:45 »
I thought about buying some of those beans and am pretty sure they were described as climbing when I looked (although I have see them described as dwarf by other sellers) but were oos when I decided to take the plunge. At the other end of the scale the 'climbing' Noir beans I bought (from elsewhere) have produced plants around 9" in height. They look a bit silly around an 8ft wigwam!

jambop

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 12:55 »
I thought about buying some of those beans and am pretty sure they were described as climbing when I looked (although I have see them described as dwarf by other sellers) but were oos when I decided to take the plunge. At the other end of the scale the 'climbing' Noir beans I bought (from elsewhere) have produced plants around 9" in height. They look a bit silly around an 8ft wigwam!

Yes it is a bit odd I have been back to the premier website and tried to find out more but now they are showing  them as climbing, although like you I have seen other seeds-men selling dwarf ones. It has probably been a descriptive error where rather than type out the whole thing for each bean type they cut and paste but got this one wrong ... evidently someone else bought them as being a dwarf variety too and has simply said ..  dwarf ? these need support the grow like runners  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 14:13 »
It's strange, I grew some of those last year. Can't remember where I got them from, but they described as climbing but they only got to about 3ft and didn't give much of a crop. Needless to say I didn't grow them again this year  ::)
We've got no chance if the suppliers can't get it right!

jambop

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 16:18 »
It's strange, I grew some of those last year. Can't remember where I got them from, but they described as climbing but they only got to about 3ft and didn't give much of a crop. Needless to say I didn't grow them again this year  ::)
We've got no chance if the suppliers can't get it right!
I suspect it is a cut and paste error to be honest. These were bought via ebay they will be doing dozens of different beans and the description will have been fouled up. It is a disaster if you planted them and had no means of supporting them fortunately I have a stand of bamboo in the garden so spotting they were sending up a leader I knocked up a frame pronto.  Premier do sell a climbing variety of the same bean though and the description of that suit what I have growing perfectly. I am actually not upset they look to be very productive and plenty of seed for next year and maybe the next :lol:

VEGETABLE DWARF HARICOT BEAN COCCO BIANCO 80 SEEDS
( 281448204873 )

jambop

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 20:18 »
update on these beans.
I bought the seeds as something a bit different a shelling bean that can be eaten mangetout ... well we ate some on Friday evening with salmon and fresh Charlotte potatoes and I have to say they were very nice indeed. They are a flat bean with a pod about 15cm or so in length. They tasted very nice and sweet coated with a bit of good butter. The plants look to be incredibly productive there are masses of flowers and beans forming I will be letting some form beans but will continue to harvest some more for steaming. I totally recommend these. They seem to grow a bit more than 2m in height so I would recommend a wigwam or long frame if anybody is going to try then.

xx
coco bianco beans

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2020, 09:17
by jambop
xx
Coco bianco beans

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2020, 14:27
by mumofstig
xx
Canna coco compost

Started by Silverpaul on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2014, 22:24
by 3 allotments
xx
Compressed Coco Soil Compost 10 Litres

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 00:38
by dmg

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 46 queries.